Wednesday, December 9, 2009

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I have really enjoyed doing an Advent Calendar with the girls this year. Whether we're cutting, stringing, gluing, praying, reading, or eating I just love that we're doing it together. Building tradition and memories, even if I have to stop and remind myself at times that they are one and two years old. Let go of the Currier and Ives already, Mama! :)

But, of what we've done so far, one of the moments I want to remember all through our lives is this:

I helped Hope read the sheet of paper asking her to donate two toys to the Goodwill. To help others. Maybe even to help some boys and girls who don't have much. It took her a minute, but then she caught on. Had I not stopped her, half the playroom would have been in the pile.

Her baby stroller. A baby doll (though, I admit, the first effort at that was Maddie's special one- lol!) One of her favorite Dora bath toys. That prized blue Barbie-mobile a neighbor gave us just before moving away.

Then Hope ran for her kitchen.
"I don't want the people who don't have much to be hungry, Mama."

A sincerity over plastic steak, noodles, and grapes that only comes from a childlike heart.

The kind I'm pretty sure the One we celebrate was talking about:
Then they brought little children to Him, that He might touch them; but the disciples rebuked those who brought them. But when Jesus saw it, He was greatly displeased and said to them, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.”
Mark 10:13-15


Thanks for reminding us of what wonderful truly is, precious girl!
~Katrina

2 comments:

saraiwithani said...

What an amazing little heart that girl has!! Thank you for sharing these stories. They inspire me to do more as well!

amy said...

My goodness...I haven't visited in a bit and I come on to see 4 new posts, LOVE IT! You're so good at keeping your blog current and fun. Great posts and love how sweet spirited those girls are!! Hope the season is going great, looks like it is!

Blessings, blessings and more blessings...