Sunday, December 27, 2009

Heavy

Christmas has always been special, even the one after my Mamaw passed as our entire extended family gathered in the little farmhouse on a hill that Joe and I first rented. Each of us receiving a tiny purple ball ornament with a gold "V" on the front for Violet, her beautifully deserving name.

But there are some Christmases that just stick out, you know? Like the last one before I got married. We knew that this would be the final morning with both my brother and I home, waking from our beds in our rooms, and enjoying traditions as just the four of us. I don't remember all the particulars but I clearly recall lots of laughter and tears, most especially from my Dad. Then the following year as Joe and I celebrated our first Christmas as man and wife! What a ball we had gathered just the two of us around our fat, little tree. I remember crying when we started to remove its ornaments weeks later, so Joe put them all back up until it was a fire hazard for sure.

This Christmas was one of those. It's been a hard year for everyone in different ways, but God has been so faithful. So this is a picture heavy post in tribute of the heavy hearts we carried around as we stood at the window waving until the next time I-40 brings us back together again.

We fed the reindeer, gave the babies warm bubble baths, and dressed them in their second round of jammies from Auntie Marcie. You just have to check out Maddie's "Ooooh!" excited face! :)




Best of all, we had a smashing birthday party for our Savior thanks to Nana's creative touches!


We know Santa appreciated that homemade cream cheese icing because we woke up to pure craziness and joy. Spoiled wonderfully rotten! The year of Uncle Billy bringing Hope a tricycle and Maddie this fabulous turtle light that projects the night sky onto her ceiling.

Hugs and silliness ranking at the top of all our lists, I think.




We ate way too much good food, explored Nashville, read Hope's new collection of Berenstain Bears books (thanks Grandpa & Grandma!) about a zillion times, had an "Anne of Green Gables" marathon (how they all humor me, though the boys did sneak away to see Avatar in 3D!), gabbed and reminisced. Though the kids adore both of their grandparents, Hope can almost always be found hanging onto her Nana and Maddie calling for her PopPop. It's the sweetest thing!

Makes Hope lay her finger, ahem, a side of her nose...

Exclaiming that we hope it was a happy Christmas for all, for we all might need a night-night! :)

Katrina

2 comments:

Felicia Murrell said...

Ok, I love, love, love The Happy Birthday Jesus' candles! The Murrell's have definitely got to find a set for next year's celebration!

k.mart said...

I know, right?! :)

Mom found them at Lifeway Christian Store... the set came with napkins, plates, balloons, and garland... some of that is reusable so I'm pretty stoked.

I'll keep my eye out for you... xoxo!