Monday, March 1, 2010

City Slickers

Recently, rather than have to miss him again, we snuck on down to Atlanta for Daddy's business trip. While he slaved away, we managed to find a few things to occupy our time. And I don't just mean my (first!) trip to Ikea.

Of course, we ate. I laughed a little to myself as all the business people politely smiled at me with my giant tummy and double stroller accidentally bumping into their briefcases and pretty suits. Our favorite was this bakery a stone's throw from the hotel's revolving door. I may or may not be still dreaming about their chicken salad on rye... plus four dollar kiddie meals that were healthy, delicious, and big enough for my girls to split.

Yes, I can admit, such things give me a thrill.
We hit up the local scene within the surrounding blocks-- for those under the age of ten, that is. Thanks to some great online deals at the aquarium and children's museum Hope can't stop talking about coral reefs, sea otters, fishing, and tap dancing. Maddie can't believe she saw "Nemo" in the real live gills and she could have stayed on that John Deere or in the sand and water for hours... wait, that's right, she did!

We also found us a pretty cool and timely park to while away most every afternoon climbing ladders, barreling down slides, and chasing pigeons.

I'm not sure what the girls did...
Kidding, just kidding.

Truth be told, the hotel itself was a wonderland enough of exploration. Oh for the halls to run down... the "rocket ship" to ride (up to the 20-something floor, those fearless girls!)... Olympics to watch from atop a mountain of soft pillows... a pint of Ben and Jerry's to share in the bustling lobby... all in one's jammies, no less.
Simple pleasures of childhood.

Yet, if we're really all about the truth here... then we have stories of a parking garage gone bad, MIA dress shirts, a couple rounds of musical beds, a ginormous hill I could barely get up each day after our adventures, and a sudden earache a few hours from home that ended with an upset tummy all over a favorite pillow and souvenir baby otter.

But you should know me better by now... :)

I'm choosing to let our memories be directed by my other senses. The sounds of our family peacefully breathing together in the dark and giggling fits over giant penguins. The first time feel of a star fish to your fingertips. The sights of sisters running off together to discover and Daddy throwing the kids high in the air at the end of a busy day. The smell of laundry detergent making things new.

And all other routes to the silver linings.

Is there any other way to travel?
Katrina

4 comments:

Mama Brown said...

So glad you finally made it to IKEA...isn't it awesome?! Looks like you guys had a blast. Glad you had a chance to get a way, and that you had fun!

Anonymous said...

oh, i just love your posts! all your details...i'm having writing class flashbacks from western! ;)

shaibaer said...

I'm glad you had such a good time! James and I have gone on several weekend trips since Daddy's been gone and always have such a great time.

FYI, we'll be in KY for a few days next week... maybe you and the girls can come up for a day trip?

Anonymous said...

What an adventure! And the pictures and blogs to keep the memories alive forever, how delightful! I must say Katrina, I'm glad you wrote the little paragraph about the unperfect events that happened because I might just forget how human you actually are. Just seeing the picture of the girls at their little picnic table (in the last entry) with their snacks in the muffin pan, made me once again think, "Katrina is super mom. I hope I'm like her!"