Monday, May 11, 2009

Today is a Gift

I realized this past weekend, by way of some stunning math skills, that this is my third Mama's Day.




And my own incredible Mama's thirtieth.


But no matter how much I think or blog about it, things just won't get off the fast track. This year's message to me has been simple though.
So simple, so almost cliche... but it became new to me in a profound way.

The weekend was filled with small, sweet surprises. Like on Saturday morning when the only thing I had to do was nurse Maddie and then head out to a women's breakfast at church. God was so good to feed me, but in reverse, by taking a lot of off my plate.

See He reminded me that I need not be a perfect wife or mama; I need to be the wife and mama He has called me to be. That involves remembering what I do well and resolving to do better in the areas where I know I struggle. After all, His power is made perfect in my weakness.

So, perfection? Not gonna happen. But my family's hearts knowing they can trust in Him and, in turn, in me? For this I strive. This time may be fleeting, but I want us to live in the moments we're given. It seems, in my experience, that really living and really trusting go together hand in hand.

I called Joe as soon as I got in the car with so much to share only to find out he had the girls with him at the Home Depot taking care of a small project for Maddie's room. He assured me they were either happy or sleeping and then to go take some time for myself.

I hit up several inspiration spots and struck gold, well wicker anyway, at the first one! In the next year we will start to do a few bigger girl projects in Hope's room, and I scored a wicker headboard for eight bucks. A rustic sign for our living room, that little message above, and an old glass jug-- perfect for summer lemonade or sweet tea-- rounded out the visit for just pennies a piece.

I managed to hit up three more spots, but only the Goodwill tempted me any further.

Both Joe and I share the love language "words of encouragement," so it is quite possible our girls might too; I can't wait for us to tuck a coupon or note in an unexpected place.

By the time I met up with them at the library, I was really missing them all! We played, checked out, and then headed to the park for an impromptu picnic with friends. Sunday carried on with what Saturday had begun. How could it not when it started with, "Yook, Mommy, a supwise! I quacked the egg an' stiwwed an'..." Don't worry, Maddie, I know you had the hard job of supervising while waiting patiently on your cereal.

Every bit of this a gift.

Not because of these near perfect moments in my world, though. Because we even had the moments at all.

For three years or thirty, flawless or imperfect as can be... may I wake up to the message.
Then really live like a couple of important lives depend on it.

Happy belated Mother's Day to one inspiration after another!


Thankful to be on this journey with you,

3 comments:

NurseMarcie said...

Looks like you had a Great Mother's Day weekend! You deserve it Katrina, you are a Great mom and Hope and Maddie are blessed. Hope to catch up with you all soon. Much Love to you all!

saraiwithani said...

Happy Mother's Day, friend! Hope and Maddie are 2 very lucky girls!

Zach and Natasha Zirbel said...

What a wonderful Mother's Day weekend! Woohoo! You created more delightful memories once again, I love that. I think I need to adopt your new saying too, "Today is a gift." Isn't THAT the Truth? I took time this morning to acknowledge my surroundings and journaled about it, which will be posted tomorrow. God is good and His presents comes in all shapes and sizes and ways and I sure don't wanna miss any of them because of the hustle and bustle. One day at a time, because each day and moment IS a gift. :) Good word. Thanks for taking the time to share. Oh PS, I loved the postcard and it's sitting on my dresser so Pavel is getting prayers Every day!