Sunday, January 11, 2009

Power in Praise

Lately I have been inspired and challenged by people who take some of life's hardest circumstances and turn them into opportunities for praising God. Maybe because the past months have been so full of beauty and wonder, yet also so full of... other stuff... for us. I want to be one of those people, those praise Him for the storm people. The kind of wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, and neighbor whose hope lies beyond the wind and rain. Whose faith inspires others who may feel the very idea of hope has been all but lost.

I was reminded of this just the other day while we listened to one of Hope's Christmas presents from Grandma. To be more truthful, I was reminded of this just the other day while we rocked out to that present. It was a new Veggie Tales CD; I cannot lie.

Somewhere between cucumbers crooning about "Big House" by Audio Adrenaline and tomatoes belting out "My Place in This World" by Michael W. Smith, I was flooded with memories. The words to these songs brought me back to places I've been, so many joyful and some just full of that... other stuff. To be more truthful, I was flooded with some worries too. What about these two little girls we've been given? Will we help them to be full of joy, full of strength when their inevitable storms roll in?

And so I opened my eyes. To twirling, to a guitar made out of markers, and to this. I could hardly believe my camera was within arm's reach:


Powerful praise for a hope that cannot be dashed by the storm, but strengthened-- so strengthened--in and through it.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Hi Katrina,
I think Hope and Maddie have two amazing parents that are preparing them well for life's hurdles.
I meant to respond to your last post, but alas, time slipped away too fast. I'm so sorry we were unable to get together over the holidays. It looked like you had a fun time visiting with friends and family. You're very brave for traveling with 2 little ones. We'll have to plan another get together sometime soon. Hope you're all healthy. So far so good for us!

saraiwithani said...

What a sweet "Hope"ful reminder to have that child-like faith :) Precious!

The Wild, Wild Westerners said...

This is beautiful! It does offer "hope," too. Thanks for sharing. :)

Zach and Natasha Zirbel said...

How absolutely precious is that?? Oh wow! Priceless moment and how fortunate to catch it on camera. There's no telling what ways and how many times she praises our Father in Heaven when only God sees...I bet she does. Katrina, don't doubt for a minute that you two aren't training and equipping your children for life because you two are the very ones who showed her by example how to praise just look at the proof. She didn't learn that from a movie or tv, ya know? Life does and will bring trials and she has seen you and Joe take it in stride so let me just encourage you that you are strong and growing even stronger in the Lord and her little eyes are taking it all in. Hallelujah!

The Gieses said...

I love this picture! No doubt that she has seen her parents respond this way countless times. How blessed she is to have the two of you to teach her about our Savior and the power of worshiping Him.