Thursday, August 4, 2011

Unwrapping Katrina Day

On our way to the orchard, my chosen way to spend the day of my birth, we had the following conversation over the fabulous blaring CD's one of my sweetest friends made me.

Me: Hey Madds, please don't spill the trail mix all over the car.
M: Why, Mommy?
Me: Well, Daddy surprised me by cleaning the car and I really appreciate that.
M: That was so nice of Daddy, wasn't it?
Me: It sure was. I love Daddy!
M: Me too. I lovvvve my Daddy!
H: Oh yeah, we should definitely keep him!

Thinking that he would have to spend my actual birthday day working through faculty orientation, he made the weekend full of thoughtful touches. Cleaned the car, woke me up with the most perfect omelet, put contacts in my phone, took the girls out on Saturday to shop for little gifts while I got to get some things done, took us out for lunch after church, made delicious grilled chicken salad, called my mom to figure out how to whip up a strawberry ice-cream pie.

Sometimes we get so busy, I forget to tell him.
Honey, I am so glad I get to keep you. You are the love of my life!
Yep, we've gone to the mini-van side. And surprisingly I am, free and clear especially, loving how much easier it makes my life! When Joe brought it home, you would have thought it was a Lexus. I'll never forget Hope sneaking up past bedtime only to turn up the radio and go on a joy ride with me while shouting out to our sleeping Tennessee neighbors, "The doors! The doors! They open SIDEways!!!"

Any one of those things would have been enough, but as it was I decided to pack us up and head out on a road trip to an orchard I had heard about. It was hot, but the frozen peach slushes made on the farm were enough to help us get up what we named "Peach Mountain."
Sweet matchy, matchies courtesy of aunties with style




Some little pound picking champions

It wasn't without its share of sweating and very itchy peach juice, but I sure liked planning my day too. Made sweeter by the words and packages I came home to receive. And by Ina Garten's peach cake (minus the pecans). Blessed nectar of the gods.

As the girls went to bed without a hitch (a BIG deal as poor Alysse's FOUR teeth wreak havoc!) and Joe and I got to watch "Soul Surfer," my heart felt so blessed. It truly was a special birthday.


My keepers, my birthday night view at the dinner table


Days like this are the kind that encourage my heart when I cannot see the peaches, cake, and soul satisfying encouragement for all the distractions.

Life is such a gift, and I am so thankful to be alive yet another year to unwrap it.
~Katrina

No comments: