Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Around Town

But first, I have to smile. I can never upload photos without coming across a dozen or more just like this:
My Hope, the photographer.
***
The need for a map or GPS is dwindling, and we're finding some favorite spots around town. This does wonders for my confidence and for our stride.

**
THE book store, as in the one the girls could spend every piggy bank dime in if I give them the chance. Down the stairs and to the right. You'll likely find two little girls there counting out their change and asking, "Ooh, can I get this one Mama? Do I have enough? Huh, huh? Do I??"

The third little girl, if not wrapped up in a sling, will likely be making a break for the stairs or the windy path back to the musty romance novels... again.

**
A community market nestled on Main Street, right near a cafe that the girls have critiqued as "Really, really gooooo-d! Can we come back here, puh-leeze??" It was a bulky 105 degree walk, with our arms full and a semi-busy street nearby. Nonetheless we used my birthday money to treat ourselves one lunch time, and I think we might have to make this pretty affordable splurge again.
Loving Hope's new little bob. So her.

The wig shop was also an intriguing spot to window shop on our adventure

The girls got to pick our produce and brought home tiny potatoes, one especially itsy one that Maddie just had to have for Alysse, and apples. Suddenly honey mashed potatoes and apple crisp were on the dinner menu, along with some other eclectic stuff we threw together.
Maddie's hair! Now that she's waited so long for it to "grow up," she is convinced it's getting as long as "Rapunza's." Rapunzel. How she makes me laugh.

**
Campus life. For instance, there is this great free kids' indoor playground right next to the law school. It also happens to be a part of the big campus church, which we visited as the first one of our hunt. Now the girls practically think we should choose it above every other church we visit. I'm certain it's for purely spiritual reasons.

But even when we're not climbing up, down, and around giant treehouses there are other fun activities that we're slowly starting to discover. Like family days up on the university's mountain, not too far from home, where you can "snow"tube in August.
And in the next moment gather your courage to plummet down a steep water slide in your blue jeans.


Maddie really did love it. Promise.

 Still, many days my favorite spots of all come from the place our GPS lady now announces as "Arriving Home."

What I can see while washing dishes
A closet I converted into a place to curl up and thumb through pages, "The Reading Nook"-- the girls now won't let you call it anything different

Front porch swing
That's what I hope for so many I love, for confidence and for stride... down all the paths they're called to travel.
A little from around our town to yours,
~Katrina

2 comments:

amy said...

Thanks for sharing...I love your little town :) So glad you guys are settling in nicely!

Christy Marshall said...

how did i get three of your blog posts behind? i just love how you are acclimating and now i'm dying to go down a water slide in my blue jeans. dang it. AND...joe is the bomb.com!! happy birthday to you:). love you to teenie little bite size pieces. i am so happy you had new blogs:)!!!