Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Best Day

Disrespect or ungratefulness, the kind of whining that just won't stop, any time I see my girls do something hurtful to each other. Oh these are the times I either shine with my great patience and wisdom... or I don't. That last one can really get to me, and is something we just cannot have in a family that's built on trust and loyalty.

But for any right or wrong way I may handle parts of a given situation, there is always love. I saw a title today that reminded me how I can't hear this song without hoping my girls hear it too as they look back on the soundtrack of their childhood. In fact, if it starts to play and one of them is nearby I literally cannot stop myself from scooping her up and dancing cheek to cheek. And there are always tears in my eyes when I do, especially when I realize how long those legs now dangle compared to just a short blink ago.

My own Mom often says that even a hard day with her family is the best day. In this heart of mine, I have to agree. Discipline has to happen sometimes, but minutes later so does the love. Get down to their level, look them in the eyes, really mean it... I love you. For any of my imperfections, for any of those come-what-may days, for any of the truly great and ordinary moments that we share-- I want my girls to know that during this unique, fleeting season of having them so little and so near:

I had the best day with you today.







the best day

with you and you and you
today.

~Katrina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, i love this entry. and not just because i'm a huge taylor swift fan. your littlest is getting so big!

Zach and Natasha Zirbel said...

Im a taylor swift fan too...thinking maybe I should write my mom a letter, its been a while, just to affirm her and my appreciation for her. She was a really good mommy and she has done a good job cutting the apron strings so I wanna make sure she doesn't think I'm too independent to need her. Thanks for the reminder :)