Wednesday, February 2, 2011

White on Rice

We've needed some sunshine. As in... neeeeee-ded some sunshine. We haven't been sick, minus a runny nose here or there, in let's see.... hmmm, well, a long time. Until this past week... argh.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for long healthy streaks and I know kiddos are going to get sick and build those immune systems (how I console myself when I have to see them suffer). And my heart goes out continually to mamas who are worried about their chronically ill, precious babies. But still I don't do well with it.

Lots of things I handle with humor and prayer... my two favorite parenting strategies, pretty much... but it's simply not funny when they are unwell. It just so happens that one of the worst emotional days of my mommy'ing career happened this past Wednesday when they had croup and earaches. Three sick at once is a whole new experience. Too much unfunnyness to even retell here, but let's just say that when the sun came out last weekend we were on it.

Like white on rice.
Like sunglasses on Alysse's sweet little snotty wiped face.

It was a pleasant break from being homebound inside our four walls. We've done everything from grumping our faces off to having some indoor fun. Even though that grumpy business is the pits, it makes the good times all the sweeter. Kind of like that unexpected sunshine after days on end of chilling cold.

We've tried space heaters+ homemade bath paints+an extended stay in the tub. That equaled a favorite.


Get well buckets... a bunch of new (thank-you, birthday!) stuff within arms reach of places to "snuggle up."
Treats from wonderful friends, who actually hear about the aforementioned terrible day and bring your kids the moon. Better yet, estrellas from Dora. (Hugs, sweet friend!)
Grocery store and catching up on missed preschool curriculum. Authoring stories to accompany very messy coffee ground illustrations. About hibernation. Oh, the irony.


Heck, we've even taken to playing board game after board game with a side of some modern art. Recognize the subjects??

But really, I cannot lie. It's time to go bitter cold... we got to sled in you a handful of times, we got to cozy up with some hot chocolate while watching your flakes fall.

One weekend of sunshine, I'm afraid, and we're smitten.
Dreaming of rice and polka dotted sunglasses.
~Katrina

No comments: