Friday, February 11, 2011

Slumber Party

Hope has been asking for a slumber party for weeks and weeks now. "A slumber party, a sleepover, puh-leeze... one for our whole family?!" I guess she doesn't count the three-ish out of seven-ish nights one or both of them make it in the bed with Joe, Alysse, and I come morning.

(I don't need a lot of luxury, but really what was I thinking when we didn't get the King sized bed???)

When Daddy went out of town for several days I knew sleep would likely be interrupted anyhow with them (and ME!) missing him. So even though we didn't have the whole family as requested, we rearranged their room and brought in the extra mattress.

First, however, I had to show them how a proper girls' night is done.

Every girl knows it starts with some fun food. Our local pizza joint advertised heart shaped crusts, and I had a coupon. Turns out they weren't making them yet, so we settled for heart shaped dessert (or a rectangular barley biscuit for the girlfriends 1 and under).

Nobody complained.



Good tunes are another must have. I searched through my girls' weekend CD's and couldn't find a copy of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun." Then I remembered I live in 2011 and hopped on YouTube. With Cyndi Lauper singing her 80's heart right out, we danced. Mid busting a move Hope stopped to ask, "Hey, don't boys want to have fun too??" and Maddie kept coming back to hold hands no matter how too legit we got.

Frightening, age telling fact? My girls will someday read that line, likely with no idea what in the world their crazy mama was talking about.

You just have to see Alysse's face any time you dance with her. This is the best I could get, dancing and photographing and all. Sheer joy.

To conclude is to pile into beds, wrapped up together, and watch a good chick flick. Or "Feel Better Little Bear" and "Arthur's Missing Pal."

Whatever.

I thought for sure they'd be worn out after all that, but like all good girl time you don't want it to end. Until Mama reminds everyone there is preschool in the morning and she's going to have to go back to her bedroom if folks don't settle it down and get some shut eye.

As they were drifting, they both took turns with the words that melt me every time. No matter how long the day has been, no matter how little sleep I've gotten, no matter just about anything... these are the words that, if it has been a hard day, make me want to rise come morning with a renewed sense of determination to love them well.

And if it's been a good day, then they make me want to strive. Strive to do it all over again because there's nothing like sleeping on such sweet satisfaction as a day well-lived.

"I love you, Mommy."


Best party I've ever been to.
~Katrina

No comments: