Sunday, January 30, 2011

Our Amigos

Sure, I'll admit it. We love us some special occasions, in particular birthdays. We plan and hunt and create and dream leading up to the big day. Because if being alive another year isn't worth celebrating, I'm not exactly sure what is. The beauty in celebrations being that there are so many ways to, well, celebrate.

We enjoy ourselves a party.
(3 yrs. old)
(2 yrs. old)

That said, we plan and hunt and create and dream... on a dime. And that is a big part of the fun. I'm so glad my own mama taught me the value of dreaming and creating because you can just feel it. The warmth and togetherness that comes from being huddled together, both breathing and working in the same space toward a common purpose. I'm pretty sure my girls are already beginning to get this.
It's also noteworthy that in the last few years I've discovered that I don't like being crazy party lady! You know her? The one who puts on the show but in the meantime fusses and irritates and just overall has a case of the grumps. Then she goes and stresses and worries and primps and plumps once the fun starts, which leaves you to wonder why she even thought up this shin-dig to begin with! This means that I FAR prefer to create in spurts, with the inevitable last burst of 2 am the night before energy, of course... but I leave that for the fun, extra things when at all possible. If the essentials are pretty much done, that means the day of I can truly enjoy the village that gathers to celebrate whatever it might be.

If you were around our neighborhood at about 11 am last Saturday and heard the Dora and Diego theme songs blaring on repeat from our front porch... then you already know about our latest whatever.
Hope's birthday party. Priceless memories and but the (practically) smallest hint of crazy party lady a day or two before show time. You know, when my house was turned upside down. She happily left, though, once grandparents arrived to a pretty clean house... except the kitchen. White chili, bean and black olive soup, bread, cupcakes, 17 sunbutter sandwiches, and baked ziti per their arrival. With my three underfoot.

I'll leave that mess to your imagination. Oh and to Nana's miracle working ways with a broom and dustpan.

Nonetheless it came together and Hope rang in another year with her friends, explorer style. As the littles followed maps all around our house, sang, whacked a pinata, pinned a donkey, ate a surprise character cake made by our talented neighbor, played, and hugged I felt pride in this little thing Hope and I managed to pull off together. I was also again humbled by the outpouring of love on our biggest girl. Explorers were a perfect party for her this year... Dora and her buddy Diego are adventurous, compassionate, smart, lively, and fun.

Reminds us of a certain, gulp, four year-old we know.
Hunting right down to the outfit... found this "perfect party dress" for just over a dollar!



Special thanks to a most precious friend for always capturing our babies during times like these! Love you!

Gracias to our amigos, near and far, for helping four to start off with a beautiful bang!


~Katrina

No comments: