Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Resolutions

But first, it has to be a good omen that I actually stayed up and got the major areas clean last Sunday. That way on Monday morning the snow fall was a welcome guest, one who we could gladly meet since our chores were all done.




And, if only for about one chilly hour, meet the snow covered ground we did.

I can hope for such success on my resolutions for 2011, but this past year has proven that life can be quite unpredictable. Back in the fall I made this real pretty poster board "schedule" of all that we would accomplish in those golden colored days. I had it all together. That is until a day later when a major life curve ball swung everything to the opposite. Still, it is good to have goals and a vision. I believe God wants us to search deep, to dream big. Maybe even stay a little flexible while we're at it.

You know, leave room for Him to move?

Shockingly, I begin with these three. :)
Sweet, little matchy gifts sure make us smile

They are still little, but they are indeed getting older. Already I can see their love languages emerging, which presents both a challenge and blessing in knowing how to best love on them. For example, Hope is my gifts (both giving and receiving!) and quality time girl while Maddie is my physical touch and words of affirmation sweetie. Remembering this can go a long way in building them up, but only one of me needs to go a long way in always figuring out how. Especially when quality time and physical touch go head to head. Oomph!

It can look like me telling Maddie to let go for a minute so I can accomplish something or me telling Hope that we can do such-and-such but we have to do it quickly. Of course, in many circumstances these things are true and no big deal to say... I just don't want such to become a pattern, the norm. I want to slow down and be intentional in what I say and do.

1. All that to say, I want to love them really well.

Before I get all wordy, let me challenge myself to say it like it is for these next few....

2. I want to spend more quality time with Joe and encourage him more. Guess what his love languages are? You're right, Hope doesn't fall far from the tree.

3. I want to rebuild my core (you know, three babes in three years + some change!) and get back into regular exercise (sweet stress relief!) Zumba once a week, running once a week, and Pilates/Yoga by video a couple times a week would be nice.

4. I want to send out at least one handwritten letter or card a week. I used to be really good at that, and I feel it is a joy to the recipient and to me.

5. I want to continue to improve the overall health of our family... our minds through our education choices, our bodies through nutrition and exercise, and our spirits through plugging in, connecting, and serving. Sleep would also be cool.

6. I want to spend time, even if just ten quality minutes some days, in prayer and study.

7. I want to live courageously and in our calling. That's a big one that I could make more specific, but for now I'll leave it at that knowing God knows just what I mean.

2011, let me make the most of you. Let me love well, give generously, serve humbly, and strive greatly. Let me be the best wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend that I can. Let me also remember that every day is a new day, an opportunity to make the most of life for that day even when mistakes or curve balls come calling.

Let me truly live.

~Katrina

2 comments:

John and Kim Gilmer said...

Wow, Katrina! Your posts are often very inspiring to me. I love your thoughtful reflections and "noticing" little -- but important -- details. Thank you for the reminders to focus on what is important.
For His glory,
Kim

Dr. Alfaro said...

You should write a book.