Wednesday, August 12, 2009

In This Together

Hope’s first words to her sister upon arriving home were, “Maddie, I wuv 'ew!” Followed by the biggest of smooches. The sweet, sloppy kind that only an eighteen month old can perfect.

That was just about more than we could handle, and we are so thankful to have captured the memory on video.

A year into this bond of sisterhood, we also admit there are a few memories that have thankfully not been memorialized. Like the snatching of toys, the subtle or not-so-subtle moments of “I want most of the attention… like right now!,” and the day that Madison realized she’s also got a touch of spunk after all. Actually, it was a Sesame Street remote with a little something called whopping one’s big sister upside the head.

Ah, me. I have visions of closet snatchings, phone hoggings, and the “But, she hurt my feelings!” to come.

Were it not for the loyalty. The fierce loyalty already surfacing from their little, big hearts.

Every morning, almost without fail, I get Maddie up about an hour before Hope. Soon as I finish nursing her she looks up at me and in her careful Maddie-way asks, “Hooope? Hooope?” This continues until we hear the voice coming out of the room next door. That voice used to call, “Mommeee! Daddeee! I’m up!” But this week it greeted us differently.

“I neeeed my Maddie! I neeeed my Maddie!”

When we’re out in public and someone asks Hope for her name she typically replies with, “That’s my sister, Maddie.” When we’re playing or driving in the car Hope will randomly announce, “Maddie’s my sister. Did you know? My sister.”

And when I put Maddie in a time-out of sorts for bopping Hope, the older of the two had an immortal fit with wails of, “My sister! Don’t put her in time-out! She'll be vewy, vewy sad!”

Already they seem to get inside jokes that we don’t quite understand. When they exchange knowing kinds of smiles I’d like to think they’re saying, “I get you, old friend. In fact, I don’t even remember life without you. Whether we hug or have it out, we’re in this thing together. Yep, I love you.”

I’d like to think those are the kinds of smiles they’ll be giving each other from 1 and 2 to 81 and 82.

I'd like to think that's the kind of sister and friend I will be from 31 on up.

Long as we mostly steer clear of things like button covered Cookie Monster contraptions, maybe just maybe, that's exactly how it can be.







*****
Please, please , please help us pray! Our pastor's son was in a terrible car accident and sustained a serious head injury. The prognosis does not appear to be good; he needs a MIRACLE! Please remember 19 year-old Josiah and his family right now. Thanks to you all!

1 comment:

saraiwithani said...

This is so stinkin' precious!