Tuesday, August 4, 2009

How Does My Garden Grow?


Since she's somehow figured even her booster seat to be too babyish, we've told Hope umpteen million times to ask permission before getting up from the table. Sometimes she remembers. Many times she does not. Always, she needs bunches of reminders.

The up and down from the chair coupled with the ever looming face plant. The darting to and fro to"do it all by myself." The busying herself to sweep, feed Maddie, or do just about anything other than finish the last of her meal.

Well, it can from time to time drive me a bit... bonkers.

So it was on an early morning just after breakfast. As both of the girls finished their oatmeal, I headed out to our garden to quickly spread a bit of scraps. Not a few steps into the backyard, I heard them. Those bare little feet.

I reminded her again where she was supposed to be, but she protested.

"But, but, but... I just neeeed to come help you, Mommy!"

Something about the earnest look on her face, the urgency of her request, the way she just couldn't help herself. We walked through the dewy grass hand in hand until we reached our destination. I lifted her up onto the side of one of our beds when she spotted it first.

"Yook! Yook! It's not a baby anymore!"

Sure enough, one of our first tiny squashes had gotten long and fat, perfect for the picking.

I helped her bend over and gently pluck it from the vine. We celebrated and then walked back to the house to show Maddie, who thankfully doesn't yet see her highchair as a total insult. Both sisters broke out in a second round of applause, and we placed it on the breakfast table as almost a small badge of honor. This ordinary morning made me see.

Look! Look, Katrina! They're not so much babies anymore.

Sometimes, especially when blogging, I remember that. Many times, in real life, I do not. Always, always there are bunches of reminders.

On this ordinary Tuesday morning I am glad just to notice, to see beyond the tables and chairs that sometimes get in the way. I am thankful to just enjoy another morning of watching all my babies grow.





*****
For more moments unwrapped, be sure to check out Emily's place and the rest of her chats at the sky.

7 comments:

Kelli said...

Almost made me cry!! It's hard sometimes to face the reality that they stay little such a short time. Thanks for sharing your story!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful post.
Precious sentiment and photos.

Terri said...

Your family is just precious!!! I enjoyed reading through your posts. Thanks for stopping by my blog today!! Blessings!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. :)

saraiwithani said...

They certainly are growing way too fast...but they are blessed with a Mommy who does take the time to really cherish these moments with them!

jenn said...

How sweet--it is so true, in a blink of an eye--they have grown. My oldest "baby" (he really hates that ;) will be 12 in September--I am telling you--I do not know when it happened--12! Enjoy your sweet, sweet babies!

Dawn said...

they grow and they grow... whether we want them to or not! that smile with the squash is something special... victorious!