Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Here

Today after playgroup I bravely went to the store. It being dangerously close to lunch and nap time and all. But I really wanted to go; we needed the milk and oj at least. Upon arrival the girls were both angels, one sleeping and the other happily saying hello to all the other courageous grocery store mothers. The cashier gave me a larger size bag of free animal crackers than my coupon allowed, and the bag boy loaded up all my groceries and delivered them right into my car. Even kindly asked if he should put my eggs up front. Trust me, there are those other days when I'm helped out alright. It's likely in those scenarios that it could be out of pure pity.

In celebration of all the Southern hospitality and gold star behavior, I went through the McDonald's drive through for a favorite dollar menu treat these days-- sweet tea with lemon. The pleasant attendant smiled affectionately at Hope and Maddie in our backseat and gave Hope a free toy just because. We got home, and I put one to bed while one woke up happy from her nap. The newest one to bed slept for almost three hours, which is typically unheard of for any kind of daytime snoozing. Just when I thought all the stars must be aligned and perhaps I should start googling for million dollar contests, Hope woke up crying loudly in that voice that can make a mama run.

As I entered the room I immediately told her, "Mommy's here" while wiping away the tears and gently pushing back the hair out of her eyes. I quickly surveyed the scene and found no boo-boos or other crib craziness as far as I could tell. Chalking it up to what must have been her figuring out that she had actually tricked herself into napping for so long, I put her on the changing table and began to give her a new diaper. Suddenly she looked right into my face and placed a little hand on my cheek. That Hope grin we cherish began to dance over the tears in her eyes and she confidently reiterated to me, "Mommy's here" with such sweet certainty. Then the grin danced huge across her whole face.

And it got me thinking.

Isn't that how it can be with all of us? We're going along, feeling fine, and then here it comes. It. Whatever that might be. Sometimes it's something we can explain. Other times it alludes us and all we know is we want to figure out what is causing us to feel the way we do. Either way, tears can give way to grins. To dancing. When we remember.

We have a Heavenly Father who is here.

He hears us when we call to Him, and He knows when it's time to come running. The joy it must bring to His heart when our response to Him is faith that He is there. And He can fix whatever is wrong just because of who He is.

In all my imperfections and all my shortcomings, if my daughter can believe this about me, how much more we can believe it to be true about Him? The One who loves with a perfect love that casts out all fear. Somehow I see this a little clearer tonight thanks to the little girl once again sleeping down the hall. Now may I live it out. Somehow. Even when it can be hard.

1 comment:

Mirabito said...

What a beautiful tale of motherhood. It's such a great reminder to know, and yet unfathomable (don't know if that's a real word) to understand that God cares for us even more deeply than a mother for her child. God bless you all and may you have many more days of kidness from strangers, its amazing how the little things lift the spirit.