Monday, August 6, 2012

Bits: Many Things, Thirty Four Things

Photobucket
Have you ever heard the story of Mary and Martha? {Luke 10:38-42} I fiercely identify with these two women, even the one who often gets a bad rap.  Good 'ol Martha.  She makes sense to me alright.

While at the beach I read another great book, Grace for the Good Girl, and in it the author recounts this story.  She shares about a conference she went to and the speaker's observations of Martha.  Particularly these verses:
  
 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

When Jesus refers to her as "Martha, Martha" it shows a deep personal connection, to repeat her name in this way.  His was a gentle, but honest, reproach.  Martha was doing good stuff, getting everything ready and serving the meal and trying to be the hostess with the mostess.  Ultimately, she wanted to serve Jesus; this is a good thing!  But what does He tell her?

You are worried and upset about many things...

Which got me thinking pretty good alright.  What are my many things?  In fact, what are the things in my life masquerading as good things when, in fact, they are obstacles to my choosing what is better?  I asked God this question and my many things, my good things and not-so-good things have started to reveal themselves and some have been surprising- others, not so much. Some are easier daily choices- others, not so much.  All the while I hear this still, small voice with clearer vision and greater freedom...

Choose that which is better, Katrina...

This is but one of another group of many things.  The many, many things that right now-- in this day, this week, this month, this new year-- that I am actively aware of and grateful for.  In honor of having just celebrated my birthday this past week, I have counted out thirty-four of them. 

Thirty-three more things, with one to grow on.:) Bits of  "Katrina Day" scattered throughout.
*****

1. The flurry of creating that goes on in my home daily.  My mantle was filled to the brim with letters and pictures that had been wrapped and delivered all last week.

2. C.S. Lewis.
This: I sometimes wonder whether all pleasures are not substitutes for joy.  
This: Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see.
Or This: When we see the face of God we shall know that we have always known it.  He has been a party to, has made, sustained and moved moment by moment within, all our earthly experiences of innocent love." 

3.  Clean sheets, a bed that is made at bedtime.

4.  Motivation and follow through on things like cleaning the sheets and making the bed before bedtime.
Photobucket
Playing putt putt.  Or, rather, Hope and I played while Maddie and Alysse mostly ran from green to green, water feature to water feature.

5.  Teaching kids, teaching my girls.

6.  The beauty of encouragement.

7.  Soaking in God's mercy, His grace.  Trying to fully grasp what these words truly mean.

8.  Laughing.  Hard.

9.  Joe's compliments, his desire to see so much good in my life.  He builds me up by his words every single day.

10.  When Hope shouts, "That's it!"  after she's discovered the answer to a problem she's been solving.  It sounds like an old fashioned, "Eureka!" and it's awesome.  She's awesome.
Photobucket
Skee ball in your own lane.  It's an art for the two, four, and five year old crowd apparently.

11.Sweet friendships and the dream of sweet friendships from each move my life has given me.

12.  Talking to my Mama on the phone almost every day.  She's my dear friend.

13.  Hanging out with my brother, who makes me incredibly proud.

14.  Alysse pronounces the word "everything" like "eversang" and she says it often.  I love hearing her talk; She is such a round-faced gem.
Photobucket
I caved on the bumper boats, especially when Hope found out she was tall enough to steer her own ship.  So glad for my moment of caving-- so much fun.

15. Short runs, long walks.

16.  Making meals my family enjoys.

17.  Downton Abbey, having received seasons one and two for my birthday.

18.  When my day starts early, in the quiet with a cup of coffee and my Bible.

19.  Maddie sings "My Favorite Things" and prays when she has trouble sleeping.  She also often asks me to lay with her so she can interlock those little fingers in mine.  My lovely girl. 

20.  Our new church.
Photobucket
My birthday dinner-- view to my right...

21.  My Dad has such a gift with his hands.  I love when he gets to create and I love hearing him laugh.

22.  Flowers for no reason.

23.  Chips and salsa, fresh fruits and veggies.  Dessert.

24. A  good craft project.

25.  The smell of new school supplies, particularly a new Sharpie or two.

26.  A fun road trip, adventures with my family.

27.  Dates with myself to thrift or flea market.

28.  When I find patience and courage have marked my day.
Photobucket
...and to my left.  

 29.  When my girls sing or twirl.  When they sing and twirl.

30.  A good read.

31.  Hikes.

32.  Wise women, inspiring women.  Good mentors.

33.  Real mail and conversation.

34.  Sunsets at the park.
~Katrina

Photobucket

2 comments:

Mama Brown said...

OH how I LOVE your 34 things! Happy Birthday my dear sweet friend in another state. I promise I'm calling you tomorrow to catch up. It has been WAY to long and I'm missing you so much! Love you!

amy said...

I hate your not on FB anymore where I can give you a birthday shout out (you know FB, where saying Happy Birthday has replaced any real birthday wishes one might give ;) ). Anywho, love the post and I hope you had an amazing birthday sweet KB(M)!! xoxo