Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Bits: The First Days

 I've known since I was a little girl that I wanted to be a teacher.  My parents have video of me out in the front yard, all my stuffed animal pupils lined up against the weathered log fence.  My pigtails bouncing as I enthusiastically marked something on a chalkboard leaned up against my old blue trike.  Recently, while rummaging around through memories, I found a book I had written called "The Children's Guide to Understanding the Bible."   Quite a feat to undertake considering I was only about eight year's old myself.:)

I used to drag my little brother and cousins into it all too.  I'd pull them on the front porch for lessons and furiously write scripts in which they each had important roles.  I'd draw sets on the backs of cardboard boxes, fasten tube sock tails onto leotards, and nervously bite my nails to see if they'd carry it out like it all went down in my head.  When I wasn't in the directors chair,  I loved to read.  Like walk-around-with-my-face-in-a-book loved it.  My Aunt Kim, another teacher in the family, used to always give us books for Christmas.  While some of the other cousins may have groaned, I was thrilled.  Fat joke books, fantastic pop-ups, crisp clean copies of the "Ramona" series, "Babysitter's Club," and more.

I've come to learn over the years that it's just the way God has wired me.

I have loved teaching other kids in my lifetime and, someday, He may have that in store for me again.  For now he has given me a class of three and, in particular, a kindergarten population of one.  Digging through old books, creating, organizing, dreaming.  I am tired like all other starts to school years, but my fire is lit.  For this year and this child, we believe it is the right decision and I am deeply blessed to have the opportunity.

But first, this past weekend we got to celebrate more than just my "school baby."  For starters with a day trip to visit my cousin's family and their precious little miracle. If you think of it, please say a prayer for baby Jeremy.  He's been through quite a lot in his four short months, and handled it with unbelievable courage and cuteness.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Then we got to take dinner to a sweet family who, after two adorable boys, got their desired little girl.  As an aside, I like to make gifts personal.  By using cheap wood craft letters (and my trusty hot glue gun, of course), it can be done without breaking the bank.
Photobucket Photobucket
Staple gun/nail/securely tack ribbon to the back for a hairbow holder.

Now, the bits-- our exciting, little, learning our way through it, adapting as we go bits-- are from our first days of school.
***********

:: Years ago I read about this family's Back to School Feast, and it has always stuck with me.  Sunday night I shopped the house to put the finishing touches on our version and shared this year's theme: Love. Photobucket
Our motto, "Love God. Love others. Love to learn."  Theme verse: 1 John 4:19. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Afterwards we turned up the music and had a fashion show with our new duds.  I told the girls that I always looked *so*  forward to getting a brand spanking first day of school outfit from my Mama, and I wanted to pass that tradition on.  I got things that I usually might not pick out, but that I knew they'd love.  Fashion show quickly turned dance party.  Daddy's fault.
Photobucket
:: And other little bits and pieces along the way.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
At our feast, I asked the girls the things they wanted to learn in the new year.  Hope told me all about the level of books she wanted to read, along with more about science and Jesus.  When it came Maddie's turn she matter of factly admitted, "I want to learn to drive a car."

My smile told her not quite yet, but my heart ached a little because it knows the truth.  Such things will be upon me before I know it.

After all, these last five years have been a flash.
Photobucket
Here's to a super year, my darling girl!  Every wonderful and small fleeting moment, even when the tough ones sneak in there. Hope you always look back on this time fondly, still with eyes full of wonder and excitement.

~Katrina

3 comments:

amy said...

You're just the best mama everrrr!! You're pretty friggin amazing :) That's all...

k.mart said...

Thanks, Amy! So much. Really, really hoping one of our trips to Asheville has a meeting with you in it. The girls still wear their pajamas all the time and love them. xo

Christy Marshall said...

i loved all the pics. all the little detail you provide. such love. you're so my favorite mama ever. aside from mine own;).