Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Bits: Making Dinner

Tuesday is the new Wednesday this week. I mean, really, it's gorgeous outside and it makes me feel inspired.
***
Sometimes it still catches me by surprise that I have a real family. It is quite amazing that these children are not my one verified Cabbage Patch kid, Norton Xavier, plus a bunch of knock offs. All those days I shushed imaginary cries and fed painted on mouths are now more than a figment of my imagination. So much more.

This thought often strikes me most of all when I'm cooking dinner.

And though Joe can cook a mean meal, especially breakfast, there is something so motherly about singing with Alysse while stirring pots on the stove and staving off my older two with another, "It's almost ready! Have a carrot or something to hold you over!"

:: 60-something degrees in February? Well okay, we'll take it. We needed some D3 anyway!
Photobucket

Photobucket
:: Valentine making has begun. I'm thinking that since Christmas and New Year's were pretty abnormal this year I am filling my holiday loving bucket extra full with some doilies, stamps, and ribbon.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Little calendars found on clearance at Michaels for the grandparents. So what if January has passed? Glass half-full: There are eleven more months to the year and January still has a mighty cute pic.

:: Sometimes I go back and read old posts, which is by far one of the coolest things about this whole blogging schtick. But sometimes I really read old posts and they resonate with me so deeply. Thank you God, for eyes to see and remember the parts that have added up over the years to make her into the woman You are shaping her to be.

:: Oddly enough this spontaneous Daddy date wasn't looking too good in the beginning, but once the three of them got out the door-- boy-- they had a blast! They came home from a basketball game shouting and giggling and dancing and sporting some free t-shirts with bellies full of frozen yogurt. Sometimes you just gotta press on and fun will more than meet you there.
Photobucket
:: In true "it's the little things fashion" I went on and hung my chalkboard, which made me so happy. You know how changing a little something like that will spur you on to clean out and reorganize and practically remodel the joint? Yeah, that's why my kids didn't get lunch until almost 2:30 that afternoon. Sorry, babies.
Photobucket
:: Some fell off and bumped their heads.
Photobucket
New games and old favorites rock.

:: Someone was truly happy when we were done with that playing business and she could jump all the orange monkeys to her heart's delight.
Photobucket
:: When our kids ask to sing their prayers it's a favorite of mine. "Go Tell It on the Mountain," "You are My Sunshine," and "Oh, How I Love Jesus" with lots of improv scattered throughout.
Photobucket
These sweet moments infinitely preferred to the chaos that is checking out at the grocery store when I know I have pushed it much, much too far. Not that I did that this past week. :)

:: Hearing my kids talk at the dinner table about when they become mommies. This conversation literally had me laughing and crying at the same time. Hope's all, "I'm going to live next door and have you over all the time when I'm not on the moon." Then Maddie did that little click with her tongue that she does when she's for serious and says, "Well I'll live in town too and come to the door in my apron and pretty dress. I'll serve all the adults two cookies each. And I'll never have to go to bed!"
Photobucket
You know, wiping my tears, they just might.

:: Speaking of dessert, this is what is requested when I'm signed up to bring something healthy like fruit.
Photobucket
Camera malfunctions abounded this week, but it's fruit pizza. Leave sugar cookie dough out until just about room temp. Flatten into a pizza pan and bake according to package. Let cool and top with a mixture of room temp cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, and a tsp or so of vanilla. Top with fresh fruit and sprinkles of sugar and cinnamon. Serve immediately-ish.

:: And speaking of laughing and crying, that's just what I did while rocking my real live round-faced doll named Alysse Maribeth the other night. She's getting so big and my heart can hardly stand it. I know we always say it, but I really mean it {again} this time. I'm feeling that God will fill out our family in ways different from my belly growing round. Even if He doesn't, I have so loved having her little.
Photobucket
:: Ahhh, these girls. {Who all lined up and yelled cheese until I came over to take this picture. True story.}
Photobucket

:: It's true. From here to there, sometimes I just can't believe I'm the one who makes them dinner.
Photobucket

Thanks unexpected February sunshine,
~Katrina

1 comment:

Christy Marshall said...

i came over prematurely today and much to my surprise....!! and you tell alysse that lucy digs it when we leave the board game out for her to finally get a swing at it, too. and as far as the rest of this blog...it is just what i needed to jump start me today. my mom just left and i was sitting here wishing i just had a few more days with her. now, i'm ready to cook up something yummy and do my *mommy thing* to the maximum. i love you, kb.