Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bits: List of Awesome

At one point last week I got tired. See I used to do this thing {like all my life} where I would push myself and stay up late and go and get very little sleep and then, bam, I would have a day or so of crashing where I'd catch up and then be on my merry night owl way.

I'll never forget when Joe experienced this phenomena of mine for the first time. We were friends on our way to dating, and I had just been through housing training as an assistant hall director with my large staff of girls. We had pulled all nighters for the University of Tennessee's annual Lip Sync madness, for opening days, for presentations, for staff bonding, for all night get to know you sessions, for... the list could go on and on. The first day I got off duty, I unplugged my phone and instant messanger {remember that?} and fell dead to the world. So much so Joe actually sneaked in my room and left me sweet notes and a care package, and I never even heard him. We still laugh about this.

That was a rabbit trail, but consider it a side effect of fatigue. 'Cause I can still go and go, but those crash fests? Not so much, I'm afraid. I've learned a lot since then about quality over quantity and simplifying, but often life doesn't fit in such a neat pretty schedule. That's okay, except sometimes the lack of sleep can catch up with me and pass along a plain ridiculous case of the grumps.

One tried and true strategy to battle worn-out-ness or grumpiness of about any kind, though, is to stop. {Collaborate and listen... yep, tired.} Grab your camera if you're a visual gal like myself, pen and paper, or even just clear some space in your mind and make yourself one.

A List of Awesome.

:: 1. Watching Saturday morning cartoons on blanket boats.
Photobucket
:: 2. Having a yard sale {with quite the captivating window advertisement} and when, surprisingly, your Mom is the only customer charging her $852.00 for a scarf, doll, and spoon.
Photobucket
:: 3. Dessert with friends. And can I just say, if you have ever moved a time or three to a place where you know no one the word friends is a pretty special awesome indeed?
Photobucket
:: 4. Bedtime stalling technique, a.k.a. "Just One More Show!"
Photobucket
::5. Frozen yogurt coupons.
Photobucket
:: 6. Dollar movie theaters on a whim and past bedtime. Kermit is still such a stand up guy. Alysse would know this if she made it past the first thirty minutes.
Photobucket
:: 7. Tripling up on the headgear just in case. Guess you can never be too prepared for how chilly those Fro Yo joints could get.
Photobucket
:: 8. Being one of the big girls. Especially when she runs in just seconds behind hollering a bunch of jibber jabber so as to appear completely in on the jokes.
Photobucket
:: 9. The way she reads books. "A, B, more jibber jabber, De En!" {The End}
Photobucket
:: 10. These ballerinas competing to out compliment me when I'm wearing a necklace and my good jeans. Better yet when I'm wearing my hair twisted into a braid and bun with two day old yoga pants. I am aware that someday I may not be so cool.
Photobucket
:: 11. Students, dinner, and a buzzer our girls desperately love within the walls of our house. He really does see to the desires of our hearts. Hang on, friends.
Photobucket
:: 12. Waiting on the air popper to finish up afternoon snack. Never gets old.
Photobucket
:: 13. These four surrounding me, when I'm awesome and when I'm grumpy alike. {Taken by such a dear photographer.}
Photobucket
*******************************
In light of all things awesome, Easter is coming! It truly is one of my very favorite holidays. And though my religious beliefs do not require the practice of denying oneself for Lent, I love the idea of preparing my heart and mind in a special way. That's why I'll be taking a little break for the month of March until Easter Sunday. In this wonderful and silly world of Facebook and blogs and all things update worthy, I'd like to take a break from ME and MINE. I hope to use the time and space to edify others online, in and around my home and routines, with family and friends I don't see nearly enough. It's a small act of sacrifice, but it's part of my offering and I hope it will be be blessing.

Besides there's a lot of living and loving to do in the days ahead-- starting with Daddy's spring break and some time with friends and family coming soon! I even think I hear some rest calling my name. :)
Photobucket
May the TRUE sacrifice of Jesus be your great comfort and joy!
~Katrina

3 comments:

Christy Marshall said...

"something, grabs a hold of me tightly-flows like a harpoon daily and nightly...." haha. oh no you didn't. and as far as your sacrifice...:(. but, i will be on the edge of my seat until you return. happy leading up to eater, my sweet friend.

Amanda Pilkinton said...

They are beautiful!!!

k.mart said...

(Joe here.) This blog belongs on the list of all things awesome. Katrina, you have a magical way of capturing the beauty of our lives on this screen. Thank you for making our lives wonderful and for telling our story in a beautiful way.