Sunday, May 22, 2011

Little Miss

Today is the anniversary of one of the three most precious days of my life. The day I locked eyes with another little girl, new and tiny (well pretty tiny, as far as nine and a half pounds go). The day I held her close and cried tears of relief and whispered "I love you" in the dark of early morning.

I just cannot believe this baby is now one.
Sometimes I wonder if we should have slipped the name "Joy" in there somewhere because of how much she has brought us in the last year. But Alysse fits too, our little miss Leesie... and though she flaunts many growing up milestones daily, she still likes to cuddle and nurse and smile in that pure beautiful way that only a baby knows how to do.

In the last month she has begun to stand unassisted, and she's mighty proud. Might even give you her famous backwards wave to make sure you're paying attention.
She has become a solid sleeper in the last few months who usually nurses one last time in the old chippy rocker before laying her head on a small checkered pillow-- paci inserted just so and the tiny yellow braid of a most favorite baby clutched tightly. It was bittersweet to move her on to the crib PopPop made for his granddaughters, but she was ready. Waking up to this well rested and happy face each morning is good stuff.
She has discovered the park swing. Give her one small push and, boy, what a treat. I have never met a baby with a more wonderful straight up belly laugh. She's also recently begun to really enjoy books, one of my favorite milestones for sure.

In true "turning one" fashion she has come to believe diaper changes, too much wiping of the face, delays during meal time, and leaving her out of any action cramp her style. Such things are a right of passage in our household, however, and remind us that she's all Martins through and (opinions are meant to be heard) through.

A bit earlier in the month we celebrated our little miss with a low key backyard birthday party among some of her closest neighborhood pals. There were kites and bubbles, picnics and sidewalk chalk, borrowed bounce houses and lots of silliness and conversation. Thanks to some pretty great friends who shared their perfect backyard with us, it turned out just as I hoped it would!




And it would be a crying shame to forget the cake because she had me laughing until I was, actually, crying.




Alysse Maribeth, I'm truly not ready for your baby year to be behind you. I still love the way you fit on my hip, nuzzled closely into my side. I have so enjoyed you from the day you became ours. People always say what a sweet baby you are, and we thank God that He gave you to us. As much as I long to keep you little forever, I also cannot wait to see you grow and hold your own among your crazy wonderful and adoring older sisters. I can tell you have so much to show us, so much to share. I can't imagine not having this seat in the front row for watching it all unfold. Love you... to the moon and back again!
~Mama (for Dada too!)

1 comment:

amy said...

Sweet! CanNOT believe she is ONE!! Unbelievable. She is 110% ADORABLE!! Happy Birthday :) Hope everything is going swell with all the moving plans. Love the new layout!!