Friday, September 10, 2010

Growing Up

At the beginning of this week some cookie cutters helped us pack her lunch. (Now you know we had to make it kinda cute for her first day.) :)
She and I picked out her clothes, Daddy read "The Kissing Hand" as we planted big ones on our palms, and she opened a purple gift I got on a great sale several weeks back. She even did some homework. Inside we carefully placed a picture of her with her sisters because, "I love them, Mommy!," a small "Peter Rabbit" book because of her bookworminess, and a set of watercolors because, "You know I love to do art pwojects!"
The next morning she woke up and ate a new banana bread recipe for breakfast, which was supposed to be a new fun puffed pancake one. Thanks be to Google for searches like "easy breakfast, one egg." Then we took the first of what I hope are eighteen years worth of pictures.

Hope loves to go, to explore, to learn. But she's also my girl, never liking to be apart from me or the people she loves for too long. After prayer and conversation, we found what looks to be the perfect fit for her. Our hearts tell us it's time, it seems to be that special something that she needs, and the classical Christian atmosphere is the cherry on top.

Her only disappointment? After hearing from Open House that a boy named Diego would be in her room, she finally understood that THE Dora and Diego would not be teaching her Spanish class after all. "He's only a child, Mommy... just a child!" Ha! As I put her to bed on the night of day two, she admitted to me that she just had to ask three year-old Diego if he was an animal rescuer. I think he made her year by responding with, "Maybe I am?!"

She surprised me with her confidence that first day as she walked right in and headed straight for a particular corner, which was certainly no surprise at all. On another little funny side note, the other day both our girls wanted to pack some old book bags for a car trip. Hope's was filled to the brim with books, so I began to help Maddie collect some for hers. After a two year-old meltdown, I realized I must not be packing the right stuff. Maddie's choice? An entire backpack filled with shoes. Ah me... :)

Hope quickly picked up how to get in line, headed toward devotions while proudly telling Ms. Dawn"I have a Bible at home!!!," and sat right down on her spot. One of my favorite images will always be when the head of the preschool invited them to fold their hands in prayer. Instead of simply clasping those chubby preschooler fingers together, she got on her knees bowing her head towards the floor. Her teacher smiled this big genuine smile, and I knew everything was going to be just fine.
Still, letting go can be so hard.

Watching her spread her wings, though?

That is some kind of amazing!
***
On the subject of growing up, I'm late on posting another growing girl who has gotten two months older since the last chair picture.

Two months


Three months


Smiling, cooing up a storm, eating like a champ (90% in weight-whew!), sleeping for couple hour stretches at night, still not liking to be far from snuggled next to you, already drooling beyond belief, determined to sit up, mostly easy going, bath loving, family enjoying Alysse Maribeth.

You, our darling baby girl, are SUCH a joy.

Thanking God for these opportunities to help and witness our babies grow,
~Katrina

3 comments:

The Goodman Family said...

Glad that Hope has enjoyed pre - school so far. Praying that she continues to enjoy it. Addison started an actual "pre - school" this year as well & she LOVES it!!

NurseMarcie said...

Love this post friend and being able to see Hope on her first day of school. I know she must LOVE it!!!! Looking forward to catching up with you very soon. Miss you:)

Nina said...

How sweet! Congrats Hope on a successful first week!