Saturday, May 1, 2010

Weekend To Remember

I'm sitting here on this gray Saturday morning watching the rain fall. A plate of watermelon and cottage cheese beside me. And don't forget the ice-cubes. I've been eating those like candy for days now.

Joe spontaneously took the girls to the library, which is pretty much like Disney World in their little books, and the house is quiet. My nesting list is long. This stack of bills beside me begs to be caught up, but I'm tired. Really tired.

So since the house is quiet and the steady drizzle lulling, I choose to blog. To remember something monumental, something whose very name encourages us not to forget.

Last weekend Joe and I got away. For the first time ever.

We've never been away from the kids at the same time, but thankfully Joe worked it all out. ADF, of course, strongly encourages protecting marriage and a GENEROUS person made a way for any engaged or married couple in the organization to attend a "Weekend to Remember" in 2010. Not only that, but some great friends of ours gave us money toward just such a weekend way back almost seven years ago on our wedding day! Though it was a haul to travel being a pretty good distance and all, we decided that we couldn't let it pass us by... plus, Nana got to babysit the girls. That meant no worries for us and bliss for her... a win-win situation, for sure!

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that it was a minor act of congress to get us the six+ hours to Asheville and then an additional couple of hours the next day to our destination for such a quick trip, especially since... well, have you noticed my ticker?? We're down to under thirty days!!

Was it worth it?

Sitting at Panera on a breezy Saturday morning writing love letters to later be read in our hotel room...

Watching my groom valiantly guard a stuffed arm chair he found for me for me when sessions broke; me sipping on the vanilla latte he had waiting on me when I got out of the shower (and I leisurely got to drink throughout the morning) all while learning how to love and respect each other better...
Told you I was tired. :) But also relaxed, thankfully, in this photo!


Having date nights ranging from Cook-Out milkshakes and watching old movies to "Shrimp Fest" and strolling through TJ Maxx hand in hand while the rain poured and my ankles told me something like dancing probably wouldn't be a great idea...
Sitting, talking, singing, praying, and not having to say anything at all...
Catching a glimpse of the girls as they caught their first glimpse of us when we got back; then catching up two day's worth of cuddles...
Worth it?

I'd say... yes.

These days we know how precious times like these are, and not just because we got a "break" from the kids. In fact, it really wasn't about that. (Though it was awful nice for a day or two to take long showers with only the thought of getting myself out the door. I realized that on my own I travel mighty light- ha!) It was a time to remember us and how this family began, our hopes and dreams for where it's headed.

I sure hope we take what we learned to better love and respect each other. Love, respect, encourage, romance, and strengthen... even when we might feel like doing very much the opposite.

With these hands. With everything.
~Katrina

4 comments:

Jen said...

I'm so glad you and Joe got a weekend getaway. You're getting so close to welcoming another baby girl. Enjoy these last few weeks as a family of four!

Nina said...

I am so happy for you guys, that you got to attend the Weekend to Remember. My principal sent Matthew and I back in February. I bought one of the gift book sets they had if you ever want me to send some to you!!! I can't wait to see pictures of your new little one!!!

Rachel@AllergenFreePlease said...

SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Natasha said...

I'm so glad you two did that!! Our church small groups department (where i work) is encouraging couples to attend the Weekend to Remember in June but because I'm coming to a wedding that month too, I don't think I can miss that much work. I would Absolutely LOVE to hear some of the things you learned, tips and techniques that we can apply in our marriage. How about an email? No pressure, I know you're exhausted.