Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Finishing Well

It's 2 am, our time. Joe is working on a brief, though, and sometimes it is hard for me to fall completely asleep while I know he is pressing on. Still, I can't believe I'm not knocked out!

You see, I've been on this crazy nesting binge for the past few days. I went from zero energy, further zeroed out by the weekend's sad turn of flooding events... to crazy, almost nervous like energy. You know the kind I mean? When you feel like you should be doing something so you take on everything you can to fill up that place of needing to do. Besides, let's face it, the house was a capital M-E-S-S! I have scrubbed, vacuumed, magic erased, folded, and list made myself into oblivion. While doing so I discovered something pretty ironic.

The more I scrubbed, the more dishes and toys I found to be washed. The more I vacuumed, the more carpet stains I uncovered. The more I magic erased, the more little smudges I found all over our walls. The more I folded, more were the piles to be donated or sorted and put away. And the more lists I made, the more that came to mind to be done. It was quite irritating, in fact.

Many things of this world, important things like making our home clean and organized, are never really finished. They pile back up before you put down your rag and cap your pen.

Perhaps my body knows something I don't know. Baby Girl coming earlier than expected?
Perhaps I want to get everything done so I can soak up more of these moments before I have to figure out how to divide my attention between three beautiful girls all within three years of each other?
But perhaps, too, my heart is full of this world's needs? The flooded areas in our state where folks only wish they had the normal wear and tear of life instead of destroyed homes caked with thick mud and dirty water.
As my mind turns this over, I find a post.

A life changing kind of post that I know my heart will be full of for some days to come. Because I really, really know something greater.

The things that are not of this world are the things I should strive for. It is those things that should never really be finished. It is my prayer that I too use my energy to scrub, vacuum, erase, fold, and plan until the desires of my heart truly match the way I live out my life.

Though it might require such work, I know there is a finishing line. And it's full of joy unspeakable.
~Katrina

1 comment:

Zach and Natasha Zirbel said...

Wow, that kissesforkatie blog is UNbelievable. Thanks for sharing that. Wow.