Thursday, January 21, 2010

Balance

I want to do the best by our children. We think so often about what goes into their little bodies, what kind of place they grow up in, what they're exposed to in general. In a day and age where it seems we are to question everything from vaccines to tap water, from toys to diapers... there's a lot to consider. A whole lot.

But, man, it feels like there is so much more.

Like... what will they really learn from us? Good health habits, sure. ABC's and 123's, I do hope so. How to be frugally minded, and we'd love it . It seems, though, that if we gave them all of this there would still be something much deeper missing.

Like... will they see us living out our mission to love God and to love others? I mean, really see it. Even now, as we can do it, in these days with almost totally reliant upon us wee ones.

It's such a balance. We've spent hours researching everything from medical choices and nutritional practices to educational issues and neighborhood safety. I believe these are a big deal and teach our girls a lot about how to honor the temple God has given them and how to make good decisions. Yet, at the same time it can be hard not to become totally self absorbed in all of that. Kind of like missing the forest for the trees.

As they grow and step out in the world around them, we want them to remember not only what Dad and Mom said... we want them to remember what we did to fill our place in the bigger picture. Who we served. Whose lives we made better, in whatever way we could. How we nurtured and nourished our family, but didn't get stuck somewhere behind those four important walls.

I need to write this post, I feel, because maybe one of these days a daughter or three might come to us with a calling on her life. One that might take her downtown, across the country, or maybe even around the globe. Maybe even to a place like Haiti, where my heart aches to go now. As much as that will hurt our earthly hearts to be apart from them, I believe we will know that somehow we achieved it.

Beautiful balance.
~Katrina

4 comments:

Mama Brown said...

What a great post and so true. We struggle with balance in our lives on a daily basis. It is easy to "miss the forest for the trees", especially as it seems time goes by us so quickly. I'm constantly asking, "Did I teach them this, Oh, I should teach them that!"

Finding a daily balance in him, helps me find a daily balance in them. You guys are doing a great job with those sweet girls. Being around them even as little as 10 minutes...anyone can see it!

Joe said...

That's an excellent post, Katrina. You are doing a wonderful job instilling these values into our daughters. I pray that the Lord would work through both of us to raise these girls the way He intended.

The Gieses said...

Beautifully said. It seems that Sean and I have had this conversation a billion times. As much as it would hurt my heart to have Cooper far away, it would also give me great joy knowing that he is fulfilling the purpose and calling on his life sent from someone far greater than these earthly parents. Consider this post a sentiment echoed. Thanks for putting my thoughts into words!

Zach and Natasha Zirbel said...

Although I can't yet fully relate, I enjoyed reading this and hearing what's in yourheart, which is always so beautifull spoken and pure. I sure miss you!