Thursday, October 15, 2009

Mom of the Year...

Why, thank-you!

You shouldn't have.

No, really. You shouldn't have.

Unless of course you meant for me to win the prize for the hamming it up competition. Because that, my friends, has reached all new levels in one day flat.

Take for instance that just a few nights ago a gracious neighbor sat with Joe for-ev-er in our downstairs bathroom fishing for, what we believe is, a spring out of the toilet. The little twirly thing that holds the roll of toilet paper on the hook. Yeah, that thing.

To be totally fair to myself, Joe left a certain two and half year old alone on that one. And in her defense, we've never known any faulty flushing to go on before now. Either way, it seems we have contenders in both the mama and daddy divisions.

But, then again, mine takes the cake. The carpet, actually. For it stood no chance to Hope's recent cosmetology license. (Or at least the one she thought she earned since learning about "beauty parlor" at a small group meeting!)

Let me back up. Earlier in that same day the girls were happily playing upstairs together, so I thought I'd run to the kitchen and put in some pizza. I waited a few minutes for the oven to preheat and made a quick Caesar salad. Then I heard a stray giggle, followed by silence. That's a good thing... or not.

Since I was met at the top of the staircase, on the other side of the gate, by these glamorous faces...



I would go with the not, how about you?

Maddie was the best. She just giggled and laughed as if to say, "Look, Mama! Hope did me up right!" My mind flash forwarded to two 14 and 15 year-olds making each other beautiful and having the best of times. Because I saw no signs that anyone had ingested anything, I kinda started thinking how sweet this was. You know, in a you-almost-gave-me-a-heart-attack kind of way.

Then, I saw the carpet and all such warm emotions ceased. The look on my face must have said it all because Hope ran for "other blanket" and her paci. But Maddie, she just kept smiling adoringly at her big sister.

I had a nice, long talk with them about how dangerous that could have been and why we should never do it again. I reminded them that when I close doors what that means. Hope apologized. Maddie looked a bit confused, yet still fond of the lipstick turning her blonde hair a nice shade of cotton candy pink.

Then I gave myself a lecture about what kind of mother would allow something like this to happen!

A normal one, you say?

Why, thank you!

Hopefully, you really should have.


This is linked up to Kristen's Blogoversary Carnvial. Her blog is amazing, inspirational, and so real. Not to mention, a real hoot!

3 comments:

Mama Brown said...

That is so cute...only because it was at your house and not mine. :) My sister has 4 children and when her eldest son was 4 (she was pregnant with the fourth child), he wanted some chocolate milk. Not wanting to waddle into the kitchen, she told him where to get the milk and Nesquick. Her 3 year old daughter wanted "pink" milk. So the 4 year old went to the kitchen, brought the milk and both the chocolate and pink Nesquick into the living room. He played bartender at the coffee table and made them both flavored milk. The stains on the carpet were still there years after when they moved from that house.

Yes...you are not only a normal Mom, but also an extraordinary Mom. Hope and Maddie are also very normal and inquisitive little girls and it's natural for them to play "Mommy" and imitate your actions. That's a good thing...well except for the carpet. I have a steam cleaner if you need to borrow it. Just let me know!!!

Zach and Natasha Zirbel said...

So I'm caught up once again. I don't have my own computer anymore so my favorites list is no longer full of MY Favorites so it escapes me too often to get over to the Martins blogspot. Oh how I miss you guys! Your girls are growing up beautifully and enjoying every adventure you and Joe take them on. I just love it! We are tenatively planning a trip to TN next year (Spring time?) and will absolutley let you know when we book flights. Love you lots!

Kristen said...

Definitely Mom of the Year!

I can so relate.

Thanks for celebrating with me!