Thursday, May 1, 2008

God Bless Life in a Small Town

(Is that a song?)

When we moved from the urban feel of Virginia Beach with its jam packed streets, confusing interstate systems (south going north, west going east, what?!), and idea that there’s always “something going on” to the small town where we live now it took a little getting used to. Not that this is foreign to me by any means since I grew up in the beautiful mountains of Asheville, NC; it was actually far more different for Joe after his many years just outside of DC. Bottom line was we came to enjoy, no cherish, our time near the ocean (still miss you beach fam!)… but we are beginning to come around to the sweetness that is living more like 30-45 minutes outside all the hustle and bustle of city life.

For one there is all the green (and we don’t just mean the big fat decrease in the cost of living). We have to take this road almost every time we’re headed towards “town stuff.” We pass rolling hills, several parks, and scenes like this.

(By the way, I love that parks make for faces like this!)

This is actually a free spring off the side of that same road minutes from our house. You just take your jug and fill‘er up with fresh spring water whenever you need it.

My dad being a small business owner makes us particularly mindful of all the fun mom and pop joints like this nearby eclectic coffee house. It serves homemade, fresh, and often organic (yet way affordable) yummies. You’ll never guess who is a huge fan.


The fact that people are so genuine-- always saying hello, waving, and not even minding if you accidentally back into the front bumper of their big truck when you are perhaps illegally rounding the town square (thank you kind sir wherever you are!) Sorry, no picture of this as I was too busy apologizing. Many times over.

All the places we have lived (will live?) each have their part to play in our journey, but for now we hope to live it up in this our small town chapter. Disclaimer: If this should so happen to entice the rest of you much missed friends and fam to become a part of “Operation Relocation to You Know Where,” we are not at all responsible. Well, maybe just a little… hehe.

3 comments:

The Gieses said...

I agree...there's just nothing like a small town! It's good to reconnect - hope you all are doing well. Love from the 3 of us!

Nana said...

Hi! This is Nana, I can't believe I finally got to see your page. It is adorable!! I love the picture of Hope watering her shoes! Katrina, you need to put up a picture of yourself. I can't wait to see you on the 17th! I love you all, Nana

P.S. Andrea helped me!

Andrea said...

Hey Katrina! I have been able to view your blog several times and am excited when I see new posts, and of course pictures, they are my favorite and go along with the stories so well! I'm so glad you are enjoying the "country" living! If you ever long for more just head over my way, lol! Hope is growing so fast I can't believe how tall she's getting! Looking forward to seeing more.
Love, Andrea