Monday, April 28, 2008

Nest, Nest, Nesting

With both pregnancies, whether I’ve been working in or out of the home, I’ve had some strong nesting urges. I consider it a great and fun privilege to piece together the nursery. But I mean some days I want to do all things I’ve ever wanted to try. Like playing the guitar. Sewing sundresses, curtains, bags, oh so cute things like my friend Sarai. Building things like my dad and brother-- wouldn't it be grand to turn a pile of wood into tables, dressers, chairs? Cooking like some combo of Paula Deen and Rachael Ray. Photographing like Ansel Adams. And why not add to this little list becoming a master gardener… composting and the whole organic deal?

But then reality. By this point in the pregnancy I can get pretty tired, especially with a certain vivacious toddler running around. There are also only so many hours in the day with a good number of them already spoken for. So, my solution? We will continue to enjoy our days doing the things we do. Yet, we will aim to get some tomatoes and lettuce out of them.

First, the tomatoes and the necessary tools… hmm, I think these are the necessary tools (they are at least the ones recommended to me at Lowes that I could get with my ten bucks off).

My lovely assistant demonstrating how we should all try to carry things that are WAY too heavy for us (Where does she get it, I do wonder? Just ask Joe about the water balloon incident back in the day when I was trying to “impress” him. Case in point, he laughed at me as soon as I typed that!)

Lovely assistant filling in soil for starting our tomatoes indoors.

And lovely assistant watering her shoes (with her gardening tools thanks to Auntie Brooke with whom we will NOT share the harvest, much to her delight!) Actual tomato seeds to be watered by me at a later time.

Finally, a little windowsill sunlight and a prayer… grow babies grow! We want to eat you in many a salad this summer.


ps- Thanks for all the sweet words about starting this blog! We welcome and enjoy your feedback.

No comments: