Friday, August 2, 2013

Thirty-Five Things

Today is my birthday, and I'm giving myself a present.

Some {kind of} {okay, not really} uninterrupted writing time.  It has been so long.

Too long.

Lots of deep thoughts begging to be strung together from the click of these keys.

But today?

Today is for my second annual list of blessings, thirty-five things I am loving right now at this very minute.

One for each year I've been blessed to breathe in a new 365 days of  life.
***

1.  My camera. We are finally reunited after she took a vacation out west with my brother.  There is something about capturing life through a lens, forever keepsakes of moments that pass too quickly.  Been this way for me ever since I was a young girl covering my bright yellow wallpaper with images I could barely afford to get out of the one-hour photo center.

2.  Learning alongside my girls.  For all the times I thought I'd never do this and for any of the challenging moments that sneak in, this togetherness is a truly precious business. So amazing to watch Hope create her end-of-the-year portfolio and relive all she's learned.

3. Surprises.  Especially surprising those I love.  Latest favorites?  Nana's birthday back in May.  Not only did we shock her with a totally unexpected arrival, but also a couple of aunts who have never met all three of my girls.  So many happy tears!  More happy tears this past month for Mom and Dad Martins' surprise 50th wedding anniversary party during our annual RI vacation.

4.  Sleepovers.  Sleepovers with aunties.  Sleepovers with aunties, donuts and coffee for breakfast.

  photo DonutswithAuntieBrooke_zps05ed3cff.jpg
5. Friends who knew you when you were young and pick right back up no matter how much time has elapsed.  My kids hanging out with her kids, totally a beautiful bonus.
 photo photo2_zps3bb70339.jpg
6. Pottery painting, park playing kinds of afternoons.  Just because.
 photo Summer2013086_zps39e3f95e.jpg  photo Summer2013088_zpsa4b98797.jpg  photo Summer2013089_zpsb19e1d28.jpg
7. The aspiring doctors/astronauts/waitresses/artists/mommies/beauticians/authors/gymnasts/performers/princesses/chefs in my home.  I love watching them dream.
 photo Summer2013091_zps8a157b97.jpg
8. Seeing these dreamers with strong, able bodies. Proudly watching as they finish first t-ball seasons and cheer one another on.
 photo Summer2013084_zpsddc3fe09.jpg  photo Summer2013085_zps490d33f8.jpg
9.  People who show up.  When we went to move out of our old home in mostly 24-hours just a few weeks ago, we threw out a hail mary e-mail for help. At 2 am.  The next day, boy did it come, and it just wouldn't stop.  Humbling stuff, right there.

10.  Long awaited answers to prayer. Been reluctant landlords the past few years waiting on a better market for two properties we owned.  Not only has God truly provided during this season, but He also sold them both this summer.  So very grateful!

11. People who make the saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder" ring true.  Totally blessed with two short, but sweet Tennessee visits in the last couple of months.  Love these friends.
 photo 1011924_10201455011840309_1050781200_n_zps2cb193e2.jpg
12. Summer bucket list going strong.

13.  A new waterfall picnic spot that just so happens to attract bundles of butterflies.  A retreat only a few minutes down the road from our new-to-us 1930's cottage.
 photo 5709d8ad-5e03-42ba-b478-7309d6a04328_zps830b267f.jpg
14.  Sweet neighbors.  Ms. Ruth across the street, a precious widow, who saves the Sunday funnies for Hope while we bake her a weekly mac-n-cheese. Good friends behind us who share in backyards and almost daily playdates. Those we have yet to meet dotted along these new streets.

15.  Sushi. Extra wasabi because, goodness,  it hurts so good.

16. Hot gluing something to my heart's delight, especially when it turns out pretty.

17.  Joseph James.  The dear things he tells me almost every night before we fall asleep.  They give me strength to forgive myself if necessary, celebrate if due, and-- above all-- hear truth and beauty no matter what the day held.  My greatest encourager, he and my wonderful Mom.

18. Full recoveries from Lyme disease.  All the herbs, advice, modern medicine, and prayer that got us there.

19.  Community Bible Study.  Looking so forward to this new year ahead and ministering to women of all ages and stages.

20. A little extra cash with a note attached to get myself a new dress.  Makes me want to do a little-girl twirl, like I've seen perfected three times over by now.

21. Crepes at the Farmer's Market on a Saturday morning.

22.  Walking along the beach with a tiny hand in mine searching for the perfect rocks and shells.  Stopping every now and then to jump waves because when you're three, five, or six you just cannot help yourself.

23. Seeds Family Worship CD's.  His word is alive!

24.  Joe Bean's coffee flavor of the month, especially when someone just randomly drops one off on the doorstep.

25.  Digging in the dirt to grow something.  Maybe this house will allow us to plant a small garden again?

26.  The weeks when my Mom comes to visit.  They always hold some of the very best memories.

27.  Essential oils.

28.  Wildflower bouquets.  Picked for me almost everywhere we go.

29.  Books with pretty titles, solid old covers all over my house.

30.  The Lord's unfailing patience with me.  His redeeming grace.

31.  Martins' family birthday pancakes, quite unacceptable without a big dollop of whipped cream.

32.  People who make me laugh.  Truly a remarkable blessing if those people can also make me good cry.

33.  Mary Poppins on repeat many summer afternoons.  A spoonful of sugar really does make the medicine go down.

34.  Vintage sheets, dish towels.  Milk glass, funky old patterns.  Especially when I find them hidden for me way back on an unsuspecting Goodwill/thrift store shelf.

35. Good memories.  The strength that comes after hard ones.  A chance to make new ones every day that I'm given.


Earlier today when my dear Dad called to wish me a happy one he jokingly opened with, "Happy 40th!"

Stinker.

There will be no wishing away these last five years of my thirties.

In fact, I have high expectations for them.

Here's to you, thirty-five.

Let's see what we will we accomplish together.
~Katrina

1 comment:

Christy Marshall said...

it's about freaking time. I am so happy I logged into the martins' blog today. I love how you spoke of joseph. I love you. and what a wonderful thing to do...remember 35 things that make your heart smile.