Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Bits: Choosing Joy

Last week, amidst all the clamor and van-time signing up and getting ready for a new school year-- we had some... moments.

And I don't mean the frolicking through a paint splattered playroom a field of daisies kind.

Friday night proved to be sweet, though, with a spur of the moment trip to our town's new (cheap! yummy!) Mexican restaurant.  Queso, salsa, and jam packed tortillas make everything better, right?  We came home hopeful.  Crockpot oats simmered through the am hours and we woke up to first soccer practices on a perfectly beautiful 70 degree Saturday morning.

One of my cherubs didn't get the memo on this sunshiny bliss and it was like pulling teeth to stay patient.  Honestly, it made me grumpy.  Grumppppppy.

As I helped her get to the van, I decided to change tactics. Two grumps are NOT better than one. I reminded myself of the should-be obvious age difference and I remembered that it's a heart I'm cultivating here, not a perfectly behaved child.  I slowed down, chose my words more carefully, and I talked to her.

I talked to me.

When things don't feel right and we sense ourselves nose diving into moments we are sure to regret later, what should we do?  Give into the negative pull or, when at all possible, look up.  Ask God for strength.  Choose joy.

In my experience, almost always, joy chooses me back.

We talked through this and we prayed.  Before long we arrived at the field, the van doors opened.

The memo was delivered.
 photo SummerStyle2013070_zpsbb94ac2b.jpg
 My cheerleading section partner.  

A beautiful Saturday turn around indeed.
****
:: I love that my girls can go from superhero sirens...
 photo 1044934_10200885448472778_1560304796_n_zpsb7ad765a.jpg
At a birthday party I was privileged to get to help plan and execute! One that made my girls all things sweaty, dirty, and action hero-like.

::... to perfectly princessy.
 photo 1231650_10201246101648882_336565577_n_zps6bd97d68.jpg  
Holla for $2 Goodwill princess digs.  Ones that made my babes blush and girly squeal on their way to a perfectly royal affair.

:: Daddy's helping coach soccer this year.  He is such an encouraging trip, that man!  Kids love it.
 photo SummerStyle2013067_zps39748056.jpg  photo SummerStyle2013064_zpsc71bcf9c.jpg
:: When I think of the house we almost rented and how bummed I was when it, by our own choosing, fell through-- I cannot help but get the biggest smile.  Our best is not God's best.  His best is... THE best.  It's nothing to be hanging with our new neighbors until dinner time comes calling and say, "Oh, I've got this" while they're all, "I've got that."  We meet in the middle serving up whatever came out of those last minute plans with a side of memories to boot.
 photo SummerStyle2013082_zpsb5dddc30.jpg
Keep in mind: six kids six and under between us.  A recent visitor who came to see us both said that we could have our own reality TV show.

:: A pretty cute reality TV show, I think.
 photo SummerStyle2013083_zps910cc5ff.jpg
:: Friends who make you coffee and personalize it should be kept.
 photo SummerStyle2013081_zps03dc3ef5.jpg
I've found Choose Joy Rule #1: Make someone else's day!

:: After a couple weeks of travel, when all of us were back in our hometown and under one roof, Joe and I decided that we needed some adventure to be shared between just the five of us.
 photo SummerStyle2013030_zpsd90284c3.jpg  photo SummerStyle2013043_zps4bb13082.jpg  photo SummerStyle2013040_zpsc590b978.jpg  photo SummerStyle2013039_zps70c24165.jpg  photo SummerStyle2013048_zps980dd75d.jpg  photo SummerStyle2013054_zps05f19afc.jpg  photo SummerStyle2013055_zpsa5e5d951.jpg
Yeah, this pretty much fit the bill.


This week marks the last of "summer" and we still have some items to get crossed off our Bucket List.  Who knows if we'll make it but I do know that in the middle of Desitin rubbed into my freshly cleaned couch whatever comes, I'm focusing in on something pretty powerful.  Even if I don't get it right the first time and have to go for it time and again.
 photo SummerStyle2013085_zps8a56d583.jpg  photo SummerStyle2013087_zps99e0a419.jpg
Spray Park? Check! Find a tiny caterpillar (Alysse's latest quest in life)? Double check!

Choosing Joy,
Katrina

1 comment:

Christy Marshall said...

it's like I just know. it seems that I come read your bits the day you post them. man I love you. and i'm totally doing that coffee note thing to someone special this week. how kind. I love the pictures in this one. more so than usual I believe. your family is beautiful. happy you found fabulous neighbors.