Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Bits: Accidentally On Purpose

I'm in a mood, to bang out a post, to count up the bits.

Hadn't really planned on much computer time tonight, so I'm sort of on here accidentally-- yet the recollecting and counting and savoring...

That's totally on purpose.
***

From here to there over the last few weeks:

:: Ballet recital.  Oh my, my, my.  Tutus and twirling.  Maddie's face alone while doing the "pony walk" move!  Getting to wear the faintest hint of make-up for the first time, bobby pinning buns, sharing the love of Jesus through dance.  I was totally meant to be a Mama to this, even when I'm sweating like a you-know-what in the tiny bathroom before the performance trying to tame the twirlers for all of the above.  FYI: Alysse's turn comes next year, Lord willing, and she is all but driving herself to get her own leotard.
 photo Summer2013009_zps975a0567.jpg  photo Summer2013025_zps73a6970a.jpg  photo Summer2013012_zps82d91f3c.jpg  photo Summer2013023_zpsb94206f3.jpg
:: In reference to the ballet, I am also thankful for sunflowers on manager's special.  They are my girls' favorite flower and it felt too splurgey to get some when Joe had already bought a beautiful rainbow of roses, but for a dollar?  A little kiss from God.

:: The past weeks have held some accidental field trips.  Afternoons where it was much too pretty to just sit inside (our messy, half packed, driving me a little batty) house so off I go to google and minutes (give or take) later, we're in the van.  My favorite, with no pics to show for it, was an hour venture to a mountaintop zoo.  Seriously, a zoo up on top of a mountain?  Who knew?  And it was just small enough, but just large enough that I could handle my troops and we learned a lot.  A memory tucked right in there with the really good ones.

:: After that accident, we had another on purpose.  Spending Earth Day with my female brood of superheroes at some hide-a-way botanical gardens.  Met two wonderful women that day who surprised me with their generosity and warmth.  The first gave us free reign to catch tadpole after tadpole and to climb high in her magnolias.
 photo Summer2013049_zpsef25eedc.jpg  photo Summer2013033_zps52e582bd.jpg  photo Summer2013061_zps34452fd1.jpg  photo Summer2013059_zpsae78eb10.jpg
The second allowed me to spend my only $10 bill on homegrown tomatoes (it is my ethical duty to never pass up a homegrown tomato) and honey, but couldn't stand me leaving without us sampling the homemade garlic pickles, pickled okra, and still warm fried apple pie.  For free.  I felt that second kiss, and it was sweet.  Makes me want to be the surprise to someone who needs to be a wee bit shocked at some extra generosity or warmth.

:: And now I pause to welcome back warm days.  Picnics!  Parks!  Kites!  Airplanes toward the sky!  The creek! Meltdowns over the right color bicycle or bubble wand! You have {almost} all been sorely missed.
 photo Summer2013063_zps120386c8.jpg  photo Summer2013067_zpsc15223eb.jpg  photo Summer2013077_zps547ccbe7.jpg
:: When a good bit of life kind of seems unpredictable, I find that if I take captive that nervous energy and take comfort in the things that make me smile at my core-- I can not fly off the handle so easily regain perspective and peace more quickly.  First attempts at homemade ice-cream.  Shoving aside boxes to find room for a tablecloth and flowers, a simple nourishing meal before us.  Reading so many chapters of a favorite book that we practically forget we're not actually right alongside Mary, Laura, Carrie, and Grace on the prairie.  These make me tick, both encountered as an accident and as the product of on purpose.
 photo Summer2013030_zpsf3f55f36.jpg  photo Summer2013027_zps130fe720.jpg
:: Children, acting grown, with their sayings.  Just a sampling.

Hope: Puh-leeze, be more pacific. (specific)
Maddie: These tights are so con-stra-ickting! (constricting)
Alysse: That is ca-wrecked! (correct)

I could do a lot more banging on this keyboard, but the momentum has dwindled.  As it is with most good natured accidents, though, I feel a greater pull toward my purpose.  Counting blessings has a way of doing that.

I go to bed with my head full of them, on purpose.
~Katrina

PS...
   photo Summer2013007_zpsc6b92d4f.jpg 
The "Pony Walk" face.  You're welcome!
 

3 comments:

Christy Marshall said...

Glad I visited your blog. On purpose.

Mama Suz said...

I loved spending time with you all, if only for a short visit!! I love the pony walk face, for sure!! Much love to all of you....please tell Joe he was missed...

Natasha said...

k.mart huh? THAT's cute! It has been too long since I've been on here but I gotta say, I am preparing to draw near to the mommies I love because I'm going to need advice and encouragement (just assuming i will, but of course)along this unknown journey I'm about to embark on. Baby boy will be arriving any day and then I'll leave the comforts of my normal routine to create new routines, hopefully quickly haha (The Becoming Baby Wise book is my new companion for direction in child (sleep) training). It is likely I should revive my blogspot cause it may be a source of sanity for me when the emotions are high. I sure miss you! Your girls are growing up Beautifully. Would love an update on your upcoming move(?) and what else is happenin.