Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Bits: Roger That

On birthday weekend after we had thanked and hugged the last guest, I came back home to my family-- my people.

All eight of us kicked off shoes, some donned pajamas, and we talked and laughed and ate chicken fajitas with guacamole among the happy mess of party decor and too-generous presents.  At one point I asked Maddie to do something to which she agreebly responded with a, "Roger that, Mom!"

Talk about hilarious.

Now our long string of celebrating -- pretty much since Joe's November birthday--  draws to a close.  It's time to embrace cold days at home and the lost groove of routine again.

It's time to find wonder instead in the glory of every day bits.  I need these this week-- like double do, roger that need 'em.
****

:: Book authoring mornings over mushy, brown bananas turned mini muffins.
Photobucket
:: "Guess Who" Saturday marathons, the only lazy of an unwelcomingly busy weekend.
Photobucket
::  Homey things.   Approximately 142 times cuter than Comet.
Photobucket
5 ingredients and 89 cents at Target

:: More homey things.  Savory wintertime comfort foods.  Maddie-Girl can stuff this lasagna in by the fistful, like I hardly ever see her eat.  In fact, it's a pretty big hit with us all and had my Mom threatening to lick the bowl.  This recipe is awfully close.  Notes: Skip the whipping cream at the end, stir a little parmesan cheese once the milk is heated through if you like creamy sauce, dry rosemary (or none at all) is fine, season with a dash or two of pepper in the sauce, and use an Italian blend cheese between layers. Photobucket Photobucket
The thumb's up, sign language equivalent to a "Roger That!"

:: If you're missing the meat, then this savory soup will do it.  Joe does the happy dance if he comes home to it on the stove.  Again, here's a close recipe.  Notes: You can cook it all in one pot.  Use half and half instead of heavy whipping cream to cut the fat, for the love use real sliced bacon (so much for the fat cutting), and spinach is pictured though kale is really yummy.
Photobucket
:: And one more recipe for good measure-- our best-loved and easiest snow cream.
Photobucket
Mix 8 cups of snow, 1-14 oz. container of sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla to taste.

:: Perfect for a couple more rounds of this:
Photobucket Photobucket
:: Joe broke the rules again for our cheap stocking stuffers only at Christmas.  Oh but I love it!  "Little Women" is such a treasure reread at this stage in my life.  Then, this post.  So very good.
Photobucket
Think I'm raising a Jo (definitely!), Meg (wouldn't doubt it), and Amy (pretty much)-- maybe with a touch of Beth thrown in there. Most of all, I hope I'm raising myself to be a Marmee.

:: Remembering friends family who gladly take over bedtime stories.
Photobucket
:: Packages in the mail!!!!! The extra exclamation points are literal, should you ever be near our doorstep when the girls discover one.  A sweet, old friend sends the girls new jammies every year.  This year she included a note to get in them, eat a Twizzler, and watch a movie.
Photobucket
Who are we to argue with logic like that?

:: The final few party decorations that I just can't seem to take down.

Photobucket Photobucket

Somehow having them up reminds me to bring a little shimmer and celebration to the math problems, laundry, and sisterly spats.

Lord, help me to bring it to the sisterly spats.

It's like when I use the vacuum these days and it smells of pine from all those lost needles; it instantly takes me back to the twinkling lights and anticipation of Christmas.  Running that machine is infinitely more enjoyable thanks to that small treat.

I want-- no I need-- to find joy in the nooks and crannies of every day life.

Roger that?

Yep, I do.
~Katrina

2 comments:

amy said...

Oh.my.goodness...referring to your previous post...what a grand party :)) You always know how to do it up right and make them feel extra special! LOVE these last two posts. The girls look so happy, all these sweet pictures just make me smile :) Love, love, love to all!! xoxo

Mama Suz said...

Love to you all! Am blessed to be reading your blog again!