Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Bits: To the Van

Most of the time, I can handle my three wee ones out in public.  We like to stay home and we like to go too, so it is important I can get them out and about and back all in one piece. Like I said, much of the time we can go on adventures relatively unscathed.  Having had a great deal of fun, even.

Lately though we've had a couple of outings where my kiddos felt berserk or, rather, I felt berserk because of my girlies.  Granted it has been in large arena type settings where my missing third appendage was greatly needed.  But, true story, both times I've lost my cool and loaded everyone back in the van.

Phew.  Not fun.

I always say, babies-- sweet babies. Those people just want to eat, sleep, and be held.  It's the ones who are mobile and have opinions that get tricky.

Yet, it's the mobile opinionated ones that make this life so rich.  Their perspective, their wonder, their hilarity, their hearts, their questions, their little selves evolving right before our very eyes.

Them and a few of their bits:
***
:: I tell you, this past week had its competitive moments with the week before in stealing joy.  Grrr. A few times I had to break out the big guns.  Hand-me-down (but new to us!) sleeping bags + snacks + a Christmas movie/book marathon...
Photobucket Photobucket
= Take that, Sunday afternoon!  Even when I almost marched 'em out the van later on for complaining about my meatloaf.   But, since we were already home, I suppose that wouldn't have made a whole lot of sense.

:: My baking buddy.  She loves the apron, the messy hands, the creating.  Most of all, the time with just me as she proudly announces, "I'm Mommy's BIG helper!"
Photobucket
Right on, sweet girl.

:: Our efforts delivered.  Jolly little elf style.
Photobucket Photobucket
:: Time with family rooting for our nephew's team!  Made it to the Virginia High School State Championship. Go #74!
Photobucket Photobucket
:: Hot chocolate in to-go cups + a drive through live Nativity...
Photobucket Photobucket
= Take that, Friday night!  Loved it.

:: I also love giving with the girls.  Whether it's baked goods to neighbors, Operation Christmas Child, or Angel Tree-- it's sweet to watch their hearts for compassion grow.  Our shopping for Angel Tree started out awesome, Target popcorn combo in hand, but grew a little sketchy toward the end.  Alysse, in particular, almost made me march it out to the van.  But I knew we had pushed time limits so, boy, did we rally.
Photobucket Photobucket
Why yes, that is us-- up way past bedtime and wrapping gifts to Christmas music.  And yes, that is one gigantic tape-abused mess and three twirly crazy girls who could barely focus to take a picture.  Yet, oh yes, did I smile from ear to ear as they gushed over their selections and proclaimed how much better it is to give than to receive!  I guess that's what they call worth it.

:: I think I said this last week, yet it bears repeating.  Some Alysse Maribeth Martins.
Photobucket Photobucket
:: Christmas jammies, courtesy of Auntie Marcie who always blesses us with such goodness this time of year.  Christmas jammies visiting the library Santa surely kicked 'em up a notch.
Photobucket Photobucket
*************

All things considered, there is no competition in reclaimed joy.

Even still, sometimes we just gotta get the kids to bed so we can eat Mexican and watch A White ChristmasIt's a Wonderful LifeElf.  All three.   These are refueling moments for me as I march on with my loud, lovely, opinionated, larger than life bunch.
Photobucket
Ack, they're awesome.

Even if I have to march it to the van a time or twenty along the way.
 ~ Katrina

2 comments:

Christy Marshall said...

i just doubled up on your posts. i didn't have a split second to read it last week. so, i was more than happy to spend a good fifteen minutes catching up on your greatness. i certainly double do enjoyed them both. can you message me or send me a link to your sister gift exchange that you you create for your girls. i vaguely remember it from last year and want to recreate something similar. email me. and i loved your CHRISTmas card, it's hanging with pride. :)

amy said...

Howdy :) Love this post...I can only imagine you marching your kiddos to the van in frustration...no, actually I can't, b/c you're a super hero to me! The pic of the girls at the game made me double take. I thought Alysse was Hope, man are they TWINS! Hope all is well in the Martins household and all the sickness is taking a HIKE. Loved the Christmas card too :) xoxo