Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Bits: Why I Sometimes Cry in Wal-Mart

Extra thankful this week for my bits of beautiful, glimpses of glory. In all the colors of fall.

:: An apple orchard on a warm, adventuresome, meandering kind of Friday.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
:: Subsequent apple crisp (subbing the pears, obviously, and minus the pecans) and apple sauce.
 Photobucket Photobucket
:: While my mouth is watering, a cool Sunday morning and Joe's french toast.  Enough to make me want to marry him all over again.
 Photobucket Photobucket
:: "Suzy Family Martins," carved and named to the girls' exact specifications.  Still loving to share this as we light her up and lean back to marvel at the wonder of the cold night sky.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
*******
Extra gratefulness in my life often accompanies extra thoughtfulness.  Lately I have been thinking about people, about callings.  Not just the big "move across the globe callings," but the every day living out of what we believe.

A lot of times, I am deeply involved in my own life.  I hit up the grocery and I have a list, that I may or may not follow, and depending on how  many people have joined the outing-- it is possible, I practically may not notice another soul while I'm accomplishing my goals. 

But there are other times.  I'm by myself, or I slow down and I see.

Brokeness.

Everywhere.

Mamas are worn out, sometimes I am that worn out Mama too, but I mean really worn thin.  They talk in hisses too close to their children's faces.   People on their cell phones, shouting, only to hang up- head in hand- as regret, no doubt, washes them over.  Hollow eyes, rough hands.  Speeding cars, sad frowns.

And I think, if I'm to be honest,  I have trained myself not to see this.  Or at least not take it in too close to my heart.

Maybe because I am a fixer.  I want to put broken pieces back together so badly.

Maybe because I am tired or proud.  I know this kind of work to be messy and inconvenient, often a long road.

But I have learned a lot over the last years.  I have been broken myself, out of my comfort zone or worried about things like my child's heart.  Struggling through difficult deliveries and mouth surgeries, job losses and financial unknowns.

I am learning, though, that I may not have the perfect words or my elusive magic wand but I can offer a cold drink of water when it's in my power.  I can pray. 

I can cry for someone I don't even know.

Last week we were reading the story of Ruby Bridges and the flood gates opened.  Hope asked, "Mama what's wrong?"

I wasn't sure exactly, except to say that such bravery-- such six-year old bravery-- deserves unashamed tears.

I want to be brave for the broken.  I want to remember my own brokenness and use it for God's glory.  I don't want to be too absorbed in my own shopping cart alone.

Lord , please let me first be brave enough to see.

Even if I am only in Wal-Mart.
~Katrina

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Katrina,
Wow your post today really hit home with me. I have been trying so hard lately to notice those around me. I am trying to pray immediately for those I see out and about that are hurting. I can see it in so many faces everywhere I go. I know with 2 boys usually running wild that some days I barely have a chance to catch my breath. God has put it on my heart to notice, to care, to bring these people to him in prayer. So you may find me in the middle of Walmart praying for some one who just passed me by with hurt or sadness in their eyes. God has also put on my heart to put together some blessing bags to just keep in the car just to have to give to someone who may need to know that someone cares or the God does indeed love them. This is a project in the making. I am trying to figure out how to go about this and what exactly to put in them. If you have any of your amazing ideas I would love to her them. Sorry I rambled so long.
Lynn

Christy Marshall said...

"such six-year-old bravery deserves unashamed tears."

best. come-back. ever. mama.

love you. and i enjoy all your blog comments to me. i've been meaning to email you since you kicked facebook to the curb. i've had some questions and i keep forgetting to get in touch.

k.mart said...

Lynn,

You are not rambling AT ALL! I can totally understand your heart, and I am encouraged that God is working on you in a similar way. I'm just like you, often surrounded by kids with boundless energy, and it can be so easy to either truly be too distracted or to use them as an excuse. When God helps you see, you can't help but reach out or at least start thinking of how you can do so-- right?! :)

So, when we lived in Asheville Joe and I both worked near downtown and in our close circle it is a running joke about how we attract homeless people-- especially Joe! Our church small group at the time initiated making "Blessing Bags" as our policy is to rarely just give money to someone we don't know.

Now if we can fill a need-- get them a tank of gas, a sandwich, etc. then we will try to do that. But we just felt we were in the situation way too many times where we wanted to do something but couldn't fill the need they had for money alone.

Back to the bags... we stuffed either big plastic ziploc bags, for rainy days, or those gift bags with good handles with some or all of the following:
*A tract or small Bible
*Numbers and addresses to ABCCM, our church, Soup Kitchen, etc.
*A water bottle or two
*Snacks
*Toiletries
*Gloves, hat, etc. depending on the season

I hope this helps some! It is such a blessing in return when you can roll down the window, look them square in the eye, say "This is out of the love of Jesus," and then actually be able to GIVE them something.

Let me know how it turns out!

Lots of love to you and your boys.
***********

And Christy,

I know... I miss FB for those reasons and one day I'll get into words why I'm taking a break there. Nothing too dramatic; just a calling from the Lord specifically to me to quiet down some and listen more to Him. Anyway, I too LOVE your comments and LOVE how this connection has brought us together as friends all these years later. I like to pretend you just live down the road, you know? We'd make a dynamic duo, I think. Love you! :)

Lynn said...

Katrina,
Thanks for all the great ideas. This has been on my heart for awhile now. I am trying to sort it out and get a plan.

Thanks again!
I am praying for you all and especially little Maddie.