Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Bits: Humble Pie

I used to be a shaker over baker craving kind of girl.  What I mean is, that I would far prefer things like popcorn or chips and salsa to something sweet.  And though I still love me some salty snacks, ever since my pregnancies really, I can dig a sliver of something decadent.  Or a few slivers.

Okay, fine.

Lots of slivers dipped in chocolate, please and thank you.

This past weekend I was drenched, head to toe, in a most unexpected sweetness.  That perfect combination where a too salty end of the week bumped into a fine piece of chocolate.  The result?  Chocolate covered pretzels eaten under cool, crisp sheets.  In new pajamas and slippers.

My Joe hooked me up, just because, with a connection from the law school and my Mama came into town.  The result?  Literally, chocolate covered pretzels eaten under cool, crisp sheets at a bed and breakfast about a half hour away from home.  In new pajamas and slippers.

Thrifting/antiquing, strolling along sidewalks bordered by beautiful old architecture, good meals eaten slowly, a most amazing shower head, time to read and talk and laugh with my Mama.  My Mama who is, by the grace of God, healthy enough to make this trip.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Simple pleasures; extravagant grace.  Letting others serve us; not exactly the easiest for either one of us.  But, my oh my, what a decadent piece of pie that turned out to be. 

Other bits.

:: Ever notice that having kids can make you more humble?  I mean just earlier this summer we were over the moon about how well our kids traveled long distances, the respect with which they treated adults and other kids.  The works.  However, without naming names, one of our kiddos made some choices the day Mom and I were away that had me both upset and frustrated.  Nothing that couldn't be fixed and put into perspective once I calmed down.  Nothing that couldn't be solved by my  remembering they've only been here, at most, five little years and these tiny tea party lovers still have lots to learn.
Photobucket
And certainly nothing that couldn't be handled by eating a fistful or two of humble pie.  Less pleasant than the high-on-life variety, but equally as important for growth.

:: The stake out.  Nana was going to pull up any minute and these sweet girls weren't missing her horn blaring, high pitched happy squealing, bear hugging for nothing.
Photobucket
:: A slight hint of fall in the air and Mom in town gets me cooking things like butternut squash lasagna, pumpkin lattes, and soup.  I am really trying to hold onto what was, despite the Lyme junk, a most marvelous summer.  But I can't help it.  I love fall so much I could marry it or, at the least, get married in it.  Which I did.
Photobucket
:: Speaking of Mom.  There she sits rooting for Hopey at soccer, whispering moves under her breath and muttering through a smile how they will practice such-and-such this week.  Then telling me we need to fix her a peanut butter smoothie every Saturday morning for extra oomph.
Photobucket Photobucket
Mama's always been one for pushing yourself and doing it with pizazz. Sports can teach such valuable life lessons that way.

:: Similarly, Nana sure had tears streaming hearing Hope truly read.  She, like I, remembers our little girl only a few months old and already staring intently at books and anticipating page turns.  Hope came out loving words, which is cut straight from my family's gene pool.
Photobucket
:: And speaking of getting married, I love him so much.  We have learned to work through so many things.  He gets me and, for that, I am forever grateful.
Photobucket

It's only hump day and there's still so much possibility left in this week.   Heck, even if humble-curve-ball-like-pie turns up again on the menu, there is far too much sweetness to drench it in.
Photobucket Photobucket
With a fistful of chips for good, salty delicious measure.

~Katrina

1 comment:

Christy Marshall said...

i just got all caught up. yes, here-here fall, i happily take my hat off in it's honor. and it made me smile seeing you get served. bless you, kb.