Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Bits: Fall Inspiration

Photobucket
Such the picture of summer.  Somewhere those babies are running barefoot... again.

My Mom's September visit has begun to mark the almost end of summer for us.  The slight touch of cool to the air, come early morning or late evening, begs the remaining decluttering of home before it's not so easy to escape its doors.  The extra eyes and hands afford me time to finally finish off the big basement clean-out, sort and consign and donate tubs of girly clothes, and even have a yard sale/donation Saturday to seal the deal.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Hooking Mom on "Downton Abbey," sharing ballet duty, having a babysitter so Joe and I could sneak to the late showing of "Avengers" at the dollar theater, and baking chocolate chip cookies-- totally bonuses.

We can still get by in Crocs these days, but I know it won't be long before socks or boots must also have their say.  By other calculations, however, it's fall and I've had my push to make it official. 

 Inspiration for the season's shift.

:: Lots of recipes start out just like this.  One bowl of flour and oats or the like, and another of pumpkin and sugar and vanilla and egg.
Photobucket
:: I still have people contact me to say they loved this simple recipe posted long ago.  The above picture turned into another favorite 'round here, though it's a little more involved.  A great go-to on busy mornings if made ahead.
Photobucket
Soft Pumpkin Granola Bars
In a medium sized bowl mix together 1 cup of rolled oats, 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour (regular would probably work too), 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.  In a small bowl whisk together 1 egg, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of pumpkin, 1/4 cup good olive oil, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.  Add the wet mixture to the dry and flatten out into a greased baking dish.  Bake for 20 minutes at 350 and let cool.  Then cut into bars.

Optional: A handful of any mix-in such as mini chocolate chips, raisins, sunflower seeds, ground flaxseed, etc.    Freeze in wax paper for individual portions you can pull out on those busier or lazier mornings.

::  Another favorite, this time for lunch and practically as simple as the cake box pumpkin muffins.
Photobucket Photobucket
Spread peanut butter on a whole wheat tortilla.  Top with sliced fruit and granola; then drizzle with honey and cinnamon.  Cut like a pizza.

:: Mama in town also means we must do a little thrifting; you know, to balance out all that purging.  Let's see if I can use the word favorite again in one post.  My, well, favorite finds:
Photobucket Photobucket
Book rack: $3.75 * Sweet old red rocker: $2.50
Photobucket
Radio Flyer Wagon: $0 {Bought with the exchange of consigned clothes- came in just as I was picking up my stuff and I've wanted one for a long time!}
Photobucket
My Big Splurge for Art: $12.50

An old Pyrex baking dish with the lid ($4.50), big glass granola jar ($1.95), six vintage flower napkin ring holders ($2.95), and long sleeved tees for Hope (one that says her name across the front; all $1-$2 each) finished me out happy.  Retail is so overrated!  :)

:: Summer front porch is a bit of a mess.  Bikes and trikes, sidewalk chalk and watering cans, shovels and strollers happily litter the corners.  Fall time front porch has me remaking old wreaths into new and clearing the path for pumpkin carving and hauling in apples.
Photobucket Photobucket
:: Do you love doilies as much as I do?  These are at the Dollar Tree, friends.
Photobucket
The Dollar Tree!

:: We have never had cable, Joe and I.  Cold weather often means more sipped cocoa or cider, though, and dipping into our collection of videos and DVD's.  Among them are fun ones like Heidi, Sound of Music, Swiss Family Robinson, Anne of Green Gables, Black Beauty, the remake of Annie.  And for me: Pride and Prejudice and other Jane Austen, Narnia, Father of the Bride type flicks, and one other terribly awesome classic.  Can you guess it?  Hint: It's nothing for Hope to drop a "Dr. Huxtable" into every day conversation.

They just don't make television like they used to.

:: Soccer Saturday mornings are now cooler; it's becoming more common for us to need light jackets as we play dolls and watch our big girl run up and down the field. Photobucket
:: Before it's gets too cold, might I also recommend homemade lava lamps?  The girls thought the chemical reactions were "going craaaa-zy!"
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
 :: Finally this has nothing to do with fall, but it's does have to do with being filled.  After that good search, the girls seem to be thriving at our new church.  They can be found playing around the house and singing worship songs, especially Maddie.  I catch her, particularly, singing ones like "Oh, How I Love Jesus" as she goes about her day-- all on her own.  I cannot tell you how good this does my soul to see my girls with songs on their hearts.
Photobucket
Almost as good as when the teachers tell me that Maddie always goes over to Leesie and holds her hand during song time when their classes join together.  Then tells her, "Don't worry, I am right next door if you need anything.  Okay, you little sweetie?"

A new season, a new breath of fresh air, new inspiration for the taking.  Hoping that beyond the recipes and favorite junk, we have more of my last bit.

Much more, seeing as how it might just be the most inspiring one of all.
~Katrina

1 comment:

amy said...

What great Fall inspirations :) I bet your Mama absolutely loves being with you girls. Btw, I commented back to you on my page...thank you! Can't wait to see your post on Brooke and Sarai's visit :)