Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Bits: Two

I sit here drinking a delicious low-cal coffee concoction my Mama made, listening to the light rain drizzle outside my bedroom window mixed with the high pitched squeals of little girls hiding in this one particular wicker chest-- which, for some reason, is a fascinating new game of theirs.  The sun is doing that amazing thing where it shines through the raindrops as if nature can't decide which weather more befits a lovely Tuesday afternoon.

Truth is, I sort of understand such a thing myself.

It's a love/hate relationship with birthday posts.  For I am the one who remembers like a flash the years gone by.  When I first saw pink lines pop up before my amazed, sometimes unbelieving eyes.  When I worked for hours, sometimes for days breathing and rocking.  When all of that work more than paid off as a doctor or midwife announced, "Here's your little girl!"  When I first held them close and nursed them long.  When they first smiled, waved, rolled over, crawled, took steps, tried new foods, said 'I love you' to ears that could not be any more filled with joy.  It always seems they were just blowing out last year's candles, when yet... here we are again another year bigger, another whole year of memories behind us-- filled with challenges that I handled well or not and, more importantly, filled with so much good.  This precious opportunity I have to see them grow each new day, to be by their sides for this incredibly short season.

Yet, how can I help but grin so big to see a healthy little one transition into a toddler?  To be thankful that I have a walking, talking little girl-- so full of life, energy, sweetness, and spunk?  It's impossible to do anything but give God the utmost glory and to celebrate.

Truth is, there is so much to celebrate.

For our "moo cow" cookie loving little Leesie, an afternoon filled with old-fashioned backyard games, trike riding, Daddy playing "Old McDonald Had a Farm" on the guitar for all the littles, story time with Mommy, adoration and hugs from big sisters, lots of cookies and milk and a fun lunch to be enjoyed by all:
         





That was this past weekend on a most beautiful Saturday.  Today we stop to remember her official birthday.  We've read and played and colored and hugged, best of all enjoying the delicious gift of Nana still being in town.  Tonight there will be favorites, grilled chicken and pineapple kebobs and thick slices of juicy watermelon.   Bet she won't even have to twist our arms too much to get a trip for frozen yogurt either? :)   Because being alive another year?

Cannot imagine anything more worthy of sunshine and celebrations.
********
Dear Alysse Maribeth,

At two years old, you enjoy life so much! You continue to have one of the *best* belly laughs we have ever heard and it's like music to our ears. Your sissies sometimes frustrate you by swiping a toy or two, but much more often they are literally scrambling each to be the one who shows you the most love. There were tears in Mama's eyes many times during your party as I watched one or the other spontaneously have to give you a squeeze or smooch. And your parents feel the same way. Mama *loves* that you still ask me, "Hold me like a baby?" and you just beam when I turn you into my chest, cradled like I used to do when you were so tiny and new.

You are our music lover, always requesting songs and dancing in tune. We certainly hope you don't stop saying, "I the show!" anytime soon because every time you do and start up a little musical number-- well, we just about die. You have such imagination; playing "Mommy and Daddy and Baby" with any little toys you can find and your sense of humor keeps us all in stitches. You've begun practicing for the role of two with quick bursts of fit pitching when we say "no" or ask you to stop something, even throwing yourself on the floor for good measure. But we've seen this game before and have to note you are generally quickly distracted and ready to say your famous "Otay, Mama!" or better yet "Okey Dokey!" Your sweet spirit, your spunk and fun. Oh, baby girl, you are joy!

We are so, so glad God gave you to us. Love you to the mooooo-n and back!

 ~Daddy and Mama

No comments: