Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Little Bits: Happily Berserk

We were hanging out around here having a pretty normal week...

::Making twenty-one'ish meals on these little plates or something similar.
Photobucket
::Creating messes.
Photobucket
::Drying tears.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Usually don't like pics of my kids crying, but I happened to have my camera in hand anyway when I caught her famous lower lip. Plus I gave her an airplane afterwards, which always saves the day.

::Having neighbors over for one last caramel apple hoorah. Or having a little apple with their caramel, as was my girls' preference that day.
Photobucket
::Going at the week's end for a first actual hair salon haircut. Two at home, Maddie given haircuts later.
Photobucket
::Having a family night to cheer on some Flames basketball! Things like this are fun parts of living back in a college town. Besides my girls have a rowdy "GO team!" in their genes, I'm afraid. School spirit practically used to be one of my spiritual gifts.
Photobucket
Didn't have the heart to tell Hopey that, "Get it on, Liberty! Get it on!" wasn't exactly the most appropriate cheer. Especially since she was near tears when we lost by a mere three points.

::Being big sister like. First the library and now the dress up closet.
Photobucket
Loving that lately she almost always says, "Tank 'ew!" when handed something and "Bess 'ew!" when someone sneezes or coughs.

Then it struck me. Dear Thanksgiving, hello... you are Thursday! Afterwards I went a little berserk, if you must know. Even though I had to look up the spelling... sneaky silent 'r'.... I'm loving this word. It sounds like crazy with a spinning side of fun and excitement, crazy with a side of limitless creativity. Crazy without, well, so much of the crazy kind of crazy.

It's a fun word. And I went there.... messy, random, pumpkiny, orange and silver and cute green gingham... the works. Berserk of the holiday loving variety.

::What to do first? Read Thanksgiving books? Make cute lists of gratitude? Create place cards and other details for the table? Random acts of kindness? Brine the intimidating, first time turkey? Break out the little colorforms I've been saving? Pack for Grandma and Grandpa Martins?
Photobucket
We went with all of the above in a most disorganized fashion.

::With the flurry behind and before us, we paused to travel northward. Be still my family loving heart, I am so grateful for the opportunities we've had lately including an early Thanksgiving this past long weekend. We hung out with our 6'7" shorty Uncle Dave at the Air and Space Museum (Hope had to visit the shuttle exhibit twice), colored and read with Grandma, joked with Chef Grandpa, and ran wild with cousins. Good stuff.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Curling up on a rainy afternoon after playing in the backyard, eating a snack, watching a movie, and waiting for the big meal. Epitome of childhood.

::Now we're back in town and I'm looking around. Just a few more touches {okay, a lot} and some more cooking {okay, a lot} to go before we welcome some of Joe's students who can't make it home to be with those they love.
Photobucket

Photobucket
I hope that everyone who gathers around our table is blessed by each small detail. Because my favorite part is coming, when berserk slows down and lights a few candles. When it leaves behind an aroma of simple foods cooked with love. When it welcomes folks inside to hopefully find some family among strangers and friends.

Wishing you a Thanksgiving full of your favorite parts,
Katrina

2 comments:

Mama Brown said...

I love you Katrina Martins! I am always in awe of your touches and detail, from the every day, to the holidays! I miss you so much and LOVE that I am catching up on your blog. Little Ms Mads looks good with her new "Salon" hair-do. The boys and I miss you guys and wish you a Happy Thanksgiving! You'll do great with Mr. Butterball I know!

Christy Marshall said...

i can't help myself...i must always comment after reading your magic. i read this post twice. you rock my world, homegirl. the world deserves to read this stuff. i understand though.