Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Little Bits: Breathe and Laugh

There are two necessary skills for my 24/7 job: patience and humor. There are others, to be sure, but those two.... without 'em, I'm sunk.

The jump from one to two babes wasn't that challenging to me until Maddie became mobile and verbal. That always ups the ante. I start chasing and ultimately guiding and disciplining. Desperately important things, namely their safety and character, are then at stake.

When little Leesie came along, I found it to be much the same pattern. Sure-- caring for the needs of a newborn with a one and freshly turned three year old could sometimes be exhausting, but the real challenges again arose when Darling Babycakes began to exert both her speed walk and her opinion.
Photobucket
Bet your bottom dollar, there is still a lot of joy in each new stage. Like eat her up right there on the sidewalk-- joy.

All of that to say, this past week has been full-- oh, so full-- of so much good. Then there have been those more frequent than usual moments that I've needed to chant... breathe and laugh, laugh and breathe. Sometimes too late and other times, thankfully, right on time.

::One of my newest little loves? All three girls dig checking out library books now. Sometimes Alysse still chooses to run me ragged from juvenile non-fiction to the adult self-help books, but more frequently she peruses a shelf of board books tirelessly looking for ones featuring doggies ("wuff, wuff") or monkeys ("hoo," thump her chest, "hoo").
Photobucket
My view as we drive back home. Hope with an Arthur, Franklin, and space selection and Maddie with her carefully chosen treasures: one sparkly, one with lots of flowers, and one with little girls in old fashioned dresses-- all smallish books because she likes it when they fit just so in her hands.

::A view off the deck as they search for flowers and leaves. Some for "cooking," some for painting, and others for Little People interior design.
Photobucket
::Helping to welcome a new tiny boy into the world because, without a doubt, new mamas deserve extra TLC. I still remember with great detail the generous meals brought to our doorstep after each baby girl. Added some homemade bread and a Caesar salad to say, "We're so glad you're here!"
Photobucket
::Baking, pretty much for the chance to lick those beaters clean.
Photobucket
::But more importantly because it was Daddy's birthday! Our little event planners created him some kind of Spider Man party with the couple of bucks I gave them to choose decorations. He came home to loud-- so loud-- excitable door greeters, candlelight, a nice dinner, horn blowing, balloon bouncing, and that dessert. I love that they love celebrating and making others feel special because that has to be one of my favorite things in the world.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Happy, happy birthday Super Dad. Spidey has nothing on you.

::It was a big week for Joe at work, so we thought the weekend would be a pretty quiet one besides for his playing in the school's Turkey Bowl. But no! It got so much better than that when my phone rang Thursday afternoon. "Hey sister, whatcha doing for the next couple days?" What an awesome surprise, brother.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Daddy's team won, and we got to storm the field-- the girls insisted on Liberty's colors! I hope they marry men who always look at them with this kind of love and pride.
Photobucket

Photobucket
We had so much fun and miss these two so.

One thing I need not even put on my can't live without parenting list is love. Because love is always there even when my patience is lacking, even when the timing for finding humor is somewhat askew. It is the one thing that is consistent, the deeply formed undercurrent for all we do. That love... it has a pretty special power.

You know, I think Someone Else says best why that is.

Love never fails...
{I Corinth. 13:8}

~Katrina

2 comments:

Christy Marshall said...

i'm stating to look forward to thursdays. i love this post. possibly a fave.

The Goodman Family said...

So so precious.... do you mind to email me your recipe for Mexican Lasagna?? Happy Thanksgiving!!