Thursday, July 14, 2011

On a Whim

Sweet vacation.

Whims aren't always easy to entertain with a crew full of little people. Somehow I always think they are and that all I really have to do is throw a few things in a suitcase. Though my packing "needs" have dwindled considerably since the first baby, the pack everything but the kitchen sink baby, it is still never that easy.

Inevitably I end up at the store well past midnight the night before getting must haves. Sunscreen, favorite granola bars, a new sand bucket (Leesie can't be left out!), and of course bread shaped like fishies.
We were headed to the beach, after all.

And somehow that one suitcase full of sundresses and suits spills over a bit until I have added at least a couple extra bags and a few more trips back inside after we've already attempted to roll out once or twice.

Or more. But who's counting?

{Joe.}

But those whims? Most of the time they end up being worth the whirlwind that comes with them. And our whim to the beach last weekend was exactly that.


So worth it.

Thanks to the generosity of two sets of friends, who didn't mind our late Wednesday message about coming on Friday, we had it made at their lovely homes. Three beaches on three different days.


Baywatch has nothing on our babes.

We had a little business to attend to, but once that was out of the way, we filled our four day weekend with the stuff memories are made of. Hikes through our old hang out in a state park near the bay, picnics, catching up with friends, learning to hold our breath under water, getting sand in every little girly nook possible, sharing in some delicious garden produce, swimming, going out for the most amazing homemade pizza instead of seafood-- mostly because we know how much our gals love themselves a good slice or six of pie.
Doesn't it always feel the best to shower and get dressed up after a day of playing at the ocean?


I mean, you know it's going to be a good trip when right out of the van you catch the ice-cream truck. Big fat check mark off our summer bucket list.
Thank-you, Mr. Tweetie Bird and Nija Turtle. You caused immeasurable joy.

We really needed this time as a family, to slow down and reflect on all that's happened in the last months. I really needed it, perhaps most of all. To spend our days and nights together just being, no new boxes to unpack or new to us town thing to figure out.



Any thoughts I entertained about our banana, watermelon, zucchini crazy baby not liking the sand or water were quickly dismissed.

It was a special time, all the more special after the pace of the last months. And today I am really grateful for this chance to reflect on it.
Plus if I close my eyes real hard I can't see the mound of laundry in my floor, the stack of dishes in my sink, the workbooks and game pieces and little people scattered all over, the overflowing sand and water table out back on our little deck.

I see this.
Which, I declare, was worth every bit of the whimy whirlwind and the driving back home tuckered out whine or two.

Or more. But who's counting?
~Katrina

2 comments:

Nina said...

We are so glad you were able to visit! It has been way too long. Your girls are absolutely precious! Know that you all are welcome anytime the "whim" hits you!! :-)

Mama Brown said...

What a great little getaway! I can't believe how much the girls appear to have grown in a few short weeks. Miss all those sweet faces! So glad I got to talk to Hopee last week. I love that little squeaky voice so much! MISS YOU GUYS SO MUCH and so sad we won't make it to Mads party today! I love you guys so much!