Thursday, December 23, 2010

Fun Winter's Night

One of Hope's favorite expressions throughout this season is to declare it "a fun winter's night" any time we are headed to do something special. It's a good thing both Joe and I dig a good "field trip," because the girls are almost always up for one. Before every season I like to brainstorm with friends, flip through the area parenting magazine, type in a few google searches. It IS really fun, after all, to be a part of our community and to expose the girls to new things-- new things that will become old things, the traditions that weave together to form our family memories.
Now that doesn't mean it's always easy with a seven month, two, and three year old. Sometimes I can feel like I've run a marathon before even leaving the drive. But, like all good marathons, the finish line is usually sweeter for the effort. Or at least sweeter because the babies sleep like rocks when all is said and done.


In the next neighborhood over from ours this wonderful couple does it up right. They have an unbelievable light's display and pick one night to actually dress up in some authentic North Pole attire. They even hand out gifts to the kids, sharing the kind of free giving that Christ did when He gave His life on the cross. That's my favorite part of "Santa" anyway... the unconditional love that spills over into giving, the spirit of what Christmas is all about. Speaking of that kind of love--my dear friend and her husband lent extra hands to me since I did this one alone with the girls, and as always it just meant the world.

Our annual neighborhood Christmas carol is another nighttime favorite. We all cuddle up in warm gear, drink hot chocolate and carol to a few houses where we really feel like we need or want to spread the cheer. Appetizers and desserts, warm drinks and fellowship await back at our house and in the end we are all worn out and blessed.
Worn out and blessed by candlelight is my favorite, for the record.

There are fun winter's mornings too. Lots of littles at different houses reading, playing, creating, eating. Mamas trying to squeeze in conversations between hugging, kissing, trading, fixing.

Also, for the record, Hope is shouting "Merry Christmas!" here and not being strangled to death.

Honestly, though, I think the origin of this "fun winter's..." stuff came from this.
Me pulling the TV I had in college, which lives in the corner of our playroom, into our bedroom. It was for my survival after a long string of sleepless nights, but the girls thought it was just divine. Christmas movies, books, coloring, and many times even breakfast. Our room got cluttered and crazy fast, but it sure made for some good moments together.

And now we wait for a bunch of bundled Britts (say that five times fast!) to arrive at our front door!!! There has been much creating, much excitement, much anticipation... and I can't hardly hold off these girls much longer.

Even though our little blog had to go private, it is still so much f-u-n when I get an e-mail, FB message, phone call saying that you enjoy and are encouraged by visiting here. In the last few weeks I've gotten several of those and, I tell you, it blesses me so! I have great ambitions for writing welled up in my heart, which is one of many reasons I am so thankful for this chunk of space to remember and record. Thank-you for being a part of our family, especially since so many of you are much too far away!! :)

Merry, merry Christmas from the fun and heart and joy of our family to you and yours...

Until 2011,
~Katrina

3 comments:

Health is Hip said...

woo-hoo!! i was just impatiently waiting a CHRISTmas blog from you. i knew you would have one that made me smile a time or twenty. thanks for not making me wait until after CHRISTmas. your writing is so precious and inspiring. i snag ideas left and right from you. i want nothing more than to be a great mother and raise great kids. i'm thankful for your intimate writing as it challenges me on many levels. merry CHRISTmas to the sweet martin crew. love you!

Amanda Pilkinton said...

I love reading your blog! Merry Christmas!!!

Nonni said...

I also love reading about your sweet little family and the memories you are creating! Good for you! This precious time passes all too quickly! Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Diane Marlin
Amanda's mom