Monday, November 29, 2010

Thankful


As my little night owl lays beside me totally enthralled with a crinkly pretzel bag I stare at this screen, this little chunk of space where I keep some of our memories.

It's been a while, but not because the stories are few. It's been a while because the stories are many, and I've needed time to sort through thoughts and feelings and life. Time to think, yes, but also time to hear. Time to understand and time to just be.

I miss writing, capturing, reflecting when I don't because it's like my days as a classroom teacher. At the end of them, I could sit down and think about this, this, this, and oh yeah-- that. All the things that could have gone better, been more effective, what I would strive for tomorrow. A wise mentor once advised me to stop once those children walked out my door and write down at least a handful of things that went well, that made a difference for that day.

So it is with motherhood. My time is often short, but taking what and when I can of it and reflecting on what went well, what made a difference for that day is never regretted.

It's just another way to wake up with fresh eyes... thankful, so very thankful for this family I've been given. It's my handful at a day's end, and I'm better because of it.

It's raining outside right now, and with all this talk I'm remembering Thanksgiving. It was small this year as Christmas waits around the corner with its promise to see both sides of our family. It was also pretty crazy because I did it all myself.
Seems I went and channeled my inner Popeye for the picture, but hey, I DID IT! Not that I've never cooked a big meal before, but there's something very grown up and motherly and extremely satisfying about getting all of Thanksgiving on the table for your family... timed just so... and to hear them say sweet Daddy-inspired things about it all.

So pardon me if there are a lot of pictures of food here, but... I guess there is no but, I'm just documenting this momentous occasion for the record books.

I had myself a plan. That plan included chicken, instead of turkey, but I figured out a killer rub to go on a really good quality bird I found a few weeks back. It worked.
One slightly grated knuckle and broken votive glass were the only casualties. Impressive, right?
Of course, it helped to have the girls creating nearby in their new little nook in bed head, mismatched pajamas and slippers, and the like. If you'll look closely, you'll notice I still didn't cook without my Mama. She got passed around almost right up to eatin' time.

Eventually we cleaned ourselves up a bit and Hope came running back downstairs with "the most perfect devotion EVER for this very day!" So what if Maddie switched seats and lost her dress mid-meal? That's our girls.




We had dessert later with some friends, but following our mid-afternoon lunch we had to sample the girls' Thanksgiving pride and joy.
Impressive, right? :)

As the holiday weekend wound down from all the excitement of dragging boxes out of the attic (which next year with a one, three, and four year-old I will surely have better organized-- mark my blog)... there was peace.
That time taken to listen paid off. This time taken to reflect is paying off.

But the time with the crinkly pretzel bag? Done worn off.

Truly I am thankful, so very thankful for it all.
~Katrina

1 comment:

saraiwithani said...

What a sweet memory to savor for years to come, friend! You did it! Love you and miss you!