Saturday, June 5, 2010

Sisterly

Before our third little girl got here, the other Martins' women "worked" hard preparing for her arrival. Baking being at the top of the list for those of us that come up to my knee caps...
When PopPop and Nana brought the new big sisters up to the hospital, they ran down the corridor and jumped directly onto my bed. Lots of hands, hugs, kisses, knees... until finally I passed Alysse off to Nana for fear that Baby Girl would (literally!) be smothered with love. Especially after giving the gift of baby pandas on her very own birthday. I tell you what, she is one smart cupcake already.

Since arriving home, Hope has far exceeded our wildest expectations. She is over the moon in love with her newest sister. She is a big helper to me, always excited to bring diapers or wipes or a new outfit. Just the other day my mom caught Hope pausing on her way upstairs to pray out loud, "I thank my God for my new baby sister!" I had to choke back tears at a Memorial Day celebration as Hope pulled back my sling while earnestly and repeatedly shouting, "Look, look everyone! Baby Alysse, my sister! You gotta come look!!! She's boootiful!" It's like Christmas to her every morning when Hope discovers Alysse is still here and a bit of drama almost every night when we once again explain that Alysse is still too little to have an all night sleep over in the big girl bed.

Maddie Girl, on the other hand, isn't always exactly sure what to think. A little coming on two behavior mixed with a little passive jealousy, we're thinking... but we just keep loving on her and giving extra attention whenever we can. Still our only blonde headed babe has plenty of affection for her newest sister, and those moments of sweetness can simply take our breath away. We know that in time she and "Baby Weese" will be just fine, especially if the last several days of continuous forehead kisses are any indication.
Then there's Alysse, a calm and gentle soul pretty much only riled up by hunger so far. She sleeps through the steady stream of noise and excitement that is living in our household and has started to give us these sweet, little half grins as if to say, "I've already been with you all for nine months. I know how we roll; I'm good."

Though some recovery has been necessary on my part, this has been such a healing time of sharing life with all three of my girls... when they're cheesing or melting down or anywhere in between. With three girls three and under, we're sure to be anywhere along that spectrum at any given point during the day. :)
The third time... well it's a boatload of patience, love, hard work, grace, forgiveness, joy, and sisterly charm.

Lots and lots of sisterly charm.

Ah, me.... love.
~Katrina

5 comments:

Scott Family Four said...

These pics are simply precious!!! Something very special and unique when it comes to sister love!
Hope is an old pro now huh? And little Maddie will totally come around too. You know truthfully, Alissa only really began to like Faith within the last few months - I was surprised it took so long!! - Just glad it happened! =)
Love and REST to you!!!! A

NurseMarcie said...

Awwww, three beautiful and sweet blessings! Give them all a big hug from their Auntie Marcie. Can't wait to see the entire Martins crew hopefully soon. Love you guys!

saraiwithani said...

I love that they have each other :) I can't wait to see how their relationships continue to grow in the years ahead! Love you all!

The Wild, Wild Westerners said...

Oh, What a beautiful family you guys have! You have been blessed with 3 wonderful little girls. :)

shaibaer said...

OMG Guys!

I JUST saw this! I didn't know you had her already! (Bad cousin... No Cookie!) She is GORGEOUS!

Congrats!