Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas Cents

Like a friend of mine recently said, we can get wildly sentimental this time of year probably in part due to all those too flawless Christmas specials. I admit it; I am sucker for making memories. I dream up all kinds of ways to do so; some turn out better than I envisioned, and others are a total flop. But we tend to learn a lot along the way!

One thing holds true in all our memory making; usually we're quite mindful not to break the bank. This causes us to get creative, which is part of the fun. We've participated in or dreamt up cookie exchanges, mini progressive dinners (stop laughing, Becki), small town parades, giving parties (turning a normal party into a chance to make things for those who are less fortunate), loads of baking for affordable gifts, and the like. Maybe some of the rest of you can relate. If you can, here's a question; Did you know that all it takes sometimes is a trip to your friendly, neighborhood library? Seriously. It can be one happening spot.

Just the other night we got to meet THE Sugar Plum Fairy. The kids were encouraged to wear their pajamas, and this worked out beautifully since Auntie Marcie sent us a package with two cute pairs that very day (MWA!) We were a few minutes late to the performance (shocker, I know) and we made a grand entrance.

Moments inside the door Hope forgot all about the Sugar Plum Fairy and instead announced loudly to everyone, "There's NUTCRACKER!" The room softly chuckled. Then not to miss a beat, she also noticed all the other kids had cookies and juice; I scurried to get some before it was known what she thought about that too. When it was all said and done, though, she quietly settled on my lap and seemed sweetly enchanted by all the dancers.

Afterwards, still in awe, you can see by her face she didn't quite know what to think of all the costumed fanciness. One thing was clear; it was hard to get her to part from the Nutcracker, even giving "it" a shy hug. (Ironic since "it" seemed to scare the pjs off most of the other kiddos!) Maddie was so amazed she just slept and slept until it was all over; then she looked like it was the greatest ballet she'd ever not seen. Oh, those girls!





Then, we all know how most mall Santas can be with their long lines and expensive picture taking... it is also possible your library is friends with the North Pole. Ours apparently has those cool connections because we just took the girls there today to meet St. Nick. Hope was so proud that she actually sat in his lap, even reminding herself "better not cry" just like the song says. :)Again enchantment and awe, running Mommy ragged, memories upon memories, AND everyone ready to go down for long naps at the end of it all (thus, the reason for this post... they're BOTH asleep and one is in her bouncer in the kitchen where I desperately need to be doing a bunch of stuff!)





I would be remiss if I didn't mention this just in case Dolly Parton ever reads our blog, which I'm sure is more likely than I think... In our state, as long as you sign your kid up through a partnership with local libraries, she sends a free book each month until the fifth birthday. If I liked math more I'd tell you how many books that is, but in two words for us-- A BUNCH! In fact, when we got home from seeing Santa we had a new one waiting in our mailbox. So, thank-you Mrs. Parton and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Now that I'm done with my public service announcement (you'd think I was a reading teacher or something) I say go grab your library's calendar, a local paper, and/or some friends and get to that memory making. Do tell... what has been one of your favorite little bargains of a best time this season?

2 comments:

Jen said...

Awww, Katrina, your blog is so inspiring. You must be on the go nonstop. I don't know how you do it all. I'm trying to learn from you and other creative Mommies so I can do fun and creative things with Lily when she gets a little bigger. I'm afraid it doesn't come naturally to me, but I'm going to try. Keep up the great work!

Andrea said...

Good job to auntie Marcie,the girls pjs are adorable! Sorry to hear thay they've both been sick hope you are all well soon!!