Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Nursery Question

We Martins love a good story. This even holds true when it comes to what we put in our home. We're often drawn to handmade things, things with history, things with character. For the most part that's what you'll find around our place... handmade gifts, thrift or salvage or bargain finds, give-a-ways or hand-me-downs that we somehow make our own. And the more of a story behind them, the better.

So we (okay, especially me) have considered it a great privilege to piece together nurseries, little spaces, for our children. We've gotten several questions about what Baby M's looks like and this is about all we can give you for now...

As you can maybe tell it's a multi-purpose room at the moment. Plus it's really a shell which will later be filled in depending on whether, "It's a ???" We can tell you the walls are sage green and most of the shelves and such are accented in black. We moved the crib PopPop made by hand in there a few weeks ago (yes, I cried when it left Hope's room) and everything else will have that vintage-like feel that I've come to adore over the years. So, here's a peek at the crib with a few possibilities inside.

Since I can't really give you much of a tour in that room, how about I show you around Hope's instead? May you enjoy the stories of her space as much as I do anytime I go in there. It took us quite some time to decide on Hope's name, so once we did I celebrated by making this small sign to hang on her door. Beside her door hangs the print Grandpa and Grandma Martins sent on her dedication day since they were so sad they couldn't be there. For our treasured Tidewater friends, especially those who came to help paint, her walls are once again two shades of pink... sweet rose and salmon. Never thought I'd go all girly pink, but somehow the two contrasting shades speak femininity with a touch of spunk to me (sorry the lighting wasn't so great, so the pics are a little dark).



Here she is on the day we made the switch to a second hand crib find (thanks again, Rachel, for the lead and, Martins' family, for providing since we couldn't get up for a shower!) The transition was seamless, which I was glad about since we really want all our children to have their time inside PopPop's labor of love. Below that the crib is decked back out in the steal of a bedding set I found with two favorites, Bobo and Norton (doll given to me when my brother was born; he's 24 and looking good for his age, eh?), tucked inside waiting for the next night-night. We opted not for a big girl bed at this point... We can see it now; Hope climbing over the stairway gate in the middle of the night, scooting down the stairs as she loves to do, and cooking us all breakfast (or burning down the house) on the "HOT!" stove. And you only think we jest! :)

A few other spots in the room include, speaking of night night, her basket of bears next to the CD player which faithfully plays certain "Praise Baby" music as she sleeps... Old shelves I distressed in college which now hold a collection of "specials" from you loving friends and family...The Britt family artwork effort; Nana found an old book of nursery rhymes for like two bucks- waffly textured pages and all, Uncle Billy cut the mattes, and I found a deal on some frames... The wicker dresser Ms. Carol gave us before moving from Va. Beach with a place above it for memories...







The old curtains in a sweet floral pattern Nana found on a good thrift store day... Hope's Christmas shabby chic-like rocker restored by her grandparents... Another wicker shelf gifted from Ms. Carol and painted black... And where we begin and end many days-- in the rocker that used to sit on my front porch as a little girl next to another college distressed table. If you look closely on the table you'll see a few of my favorite items including a mold of her tiny hand and footprint, a keepsake silver brush/comb set from Great Auntie Susan, along with blessings written over her before she was born. Oh and on the chair hangs an afghan made by my Great Aunt Dee- not only does each child have one, but we have one in extra long ("Since Joe is so tall," she said) made for our wedding.




You know, I really don't think it's about the things at all. It is about the stories, the memories, the people, the time. These are the real things we want our children to know and appreciate. Now that I'm done nesting without actually doing anything to the nest, I believe Joe is finally almost home from work-- so it's off through the neighborhood we go... hoping my spicy Mexican lunch (his office celebrated a WHOLE YEAR he's been there... A year? Already?!) and a good solid walk will encourage you-know-who!

1 comment:

amy said...

you know, ppl think (as i do too, can't lie) that everything for a brand new baby has to be brand new! you've proved that wrong miss katrina...GREAT JOB, everything is perfect!

it is my HOPE that joe will send out an email, to everyone that can't be there, as soon as possible letting us know how you and baby are doing! so, i'm checking my email (and your blog) daily...waiting....

my prayers and thoughts are with all FOUR of you guys!!!

God Bless :)

amy