Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Bits: Take Heart

Photobucket
My Heart Day girls decked out and headed to Bible Study 

Honestly.

If today had been yesterday, I wouldn't have felt like writing a thing.  What I did feel like was pulling the blankets up around my head and calling uncle.

But is that a true cross-section of life?  If I want my girls to come back and read these words some day, I want them to know it's not all roses and sunshine.  In fact, sometimes much of it feels not at all like roses and sunshine if you want to live and do right in a world that has a whole lot going wrong.

I want them to be comforted that their Mama struggled sometimes, but that I know the Comforter.  That this verse means what it says:

John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Peace, take heart, overcome.

Yes. 

Probably among some of the most important things I can possibly teach my daughters.

I have lots of reasons to be stressed right now.  Kind of a when-it-rains-it-pours type of time.  It came on suddenly, with one frustration and broken promise upon another.  People's choices to be dishonest or to not keep their word flooring me in a way that has bubbled up all sorts of emotions.  Topped off by some food poisoning for me this past weekend, and I was weak and angry yesterday.

It takes a lot, I think, to get me to such a place and poor Joe-- my best friend-- took the brunt of it last night after all the girls were in bed.  I spent my night restless and frustrated and in prayer.

Then with the morning came fresh eyes.  Joe's hugs and words of forgiveness popping up everywhere. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" meaning more than a sports motto.  It means I can love unlovable people.  I can stand up for what's right with integrity.  I can believe God will work things out even when I don't see it happening.

I can take heart.

That's all I've got today.

Well, that and my bits.
******

:: February 14th, such a super sweet day.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
:: Family Night Pictionary, such a fun game with the girls.  A new favorite for sure.
Photobucket Photobucket
:: Warm afternoons for quiet, then messy, learning.  Hope saying (of Valentine's Day), "I thought yesterday was the best day ever!  But then there's today.  Actually every day is the best day when I get to be with you, Mom."
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
 :: Babysitting my "grandchildren" who have very specific schedules, quickly scrawled out for me as an afterthought that I might need it in lead and white. Three great mamas-in-training.
Photobucket Photobucket
:: Alysse consoling me when I was sick with gentle rubs and, "Don't worry Mama, I'll go to the Goodwill and get you some coffee."
Photobucket
Donating/thrifting + coffee makes it all better, right baby girl? 

:: Precious puzzle lovers giving me a break. Photobucket
The bits may be short and sweet this week, but I am ever so glad they're mine.

Taking Heart,
~Katrina

5 comments:

Mama Suz said...

Love you all and keeping you all close in my prayers.......take good care!!

k.mart said...

Thanks, Mama Suz! So much. Love you!

amy said...

I'm sorry you were going through a tough time. It's so hard when people let us down, it tends to be kind of a shocker...esp for someone who always looks for the best in people. A bad and frustrated attitude is ok KB, as long as it doesn't stay too long ;) Thank goodness His mercies are new every morning! You're doing your very best and those are some lucky little girls :) Praying for you xoxo

Christy Marshall said...

how on earth could anyone let YOU down? but elise's goodwill comment?? you tell her i could NOT agree more. goodwill and coffee...cure all.

blessing you with extra prayers. i will certainly promise that.

xo.

k.mart said...

Thanks, sweet friends! Your words and prayers are a balm to the soul. Hugs to you both!