Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Big Bits: Nick of Time

Photobucket
Been a crazy few weeks.

Many of the weeks I write about are filled with those endearing little bits, with the beautiful good and sometimes the inevitably frustrating, and for that I am so grateful.

For it is the big bits which make the little ones so cherished. I mean it's the seemingly ordinary Monday mornings that suddenly hit like a mack truck. Those are the times that change the fabric of your life instantly and forever. The times that make you see how important every day is, what a blessing it is to play with your babies when no mack truck has yet rumbled down your street.

My Mom. My dear, precious Mother was hit with just such an unknown force the Monday before Christmas. I held her hand in the ER and held my breath for the month to follow. I hope to never again see her in such pain, and I will never forget the long nights when she begged me not to stop praying over her and God's prompting me to pray most intensely for angels. There were miracles in that room because of this that will stay with me a lifetime.

I have always loved angels, haven't I Mama?

As the surgeon shared, Mom got to the hospital in the nick of time. So today I stare at this screen, this place where I so enjoy unwinding to the tune of three mostly smiley faced girls and I more gratefully than ever scribble out some bits.

::The day before Mom's hospital stay began we had some Christmas. I now understand why, for the first time ever, we decided to do all of this early.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Uncle and Aunt delivered with character bedding of their dreams, homemade crayons, and more.

::Actual Christmas was bittersweet. Joe drove all the way home to get our gifts. He also ended up later taking the big girls to visit his side of the family as we had originally planned for us all. Petting zoo, cousins galore, grandparent spoiling, waterfalls, the park, and I think I even heard about some Alvin and the Chipmunks theater action. Hearing their adventures did my heart so good.
Photobucket
Sister Store was a great success!

::The girls got three gifts each from us, plus stockings. {I love doing stockings!} For the record, there were some favorites.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Maddie and her ballerina doll.
Photobucket
Hope's very own camera.
Photobucket
Alysse's baby who has her own magnetic paci and, importantly, a "bankie."

::Later on Christmas day Joe dressed the girls in the dresses Nana picked out special. They were intended for a fancy excursion to the hotel where I got engaged which held giant gingerbread houses, amazing fireplaces, and overpriced cocoa. Instead those angels looked beautiful for their Nana alone by the lights of the little tree we brought to her small room.
Photobucket
Hope cried hard when we left and Maddie worried herself so about "that big cut place."

::My Mom is home today and so are we. It is difficult not to be down the street from her, especially now. But my car knows the way, and I will be there again soon.
Photobucket

Photobucket
The moment Hope shared she would be using her birthday money to buy these funny bears for each of her sisters since she had received a coveted one at her little party.
Photobucket
And after the $10 trip down Target's clearance aisle before getting on the road for Virginia. Hope's all, "Oh yeah, I'm generous." :)

The last weeks have been filled with great grace and imperfection-- the case that often comes with those unexpected moments that threaten to grip us with worry. But as my family stood, surrounded by the strength of loved ones, I was reminded that the sum of all that seems little is actually something pretty enormous. And it begs an enormous question in return...

What will each of us do with our nick of time on this earth?
~Katrina

2 comments:

Christy Marshall said...

I knew something wasn't right. I've been by your page yearning for some good Katrina-spiration and kept seeing your last post!! Your sweet mom looked beautiful and healthy in that last pic. Ill def be Praying!! Your girls in those matching dresses...just simply precious.

amy said...

Me too, I knew something was going on! Still not exactly sure what happened...but I found myself praying in the shower this morning, knowing that I was baffled, but the Lord knew what was going on. Glad to see everything is at least stable for now! Keep us posted! Love you. P.S. this holiday season flew by me, I did not get the holiday pj's for the girls, but I will make it up!