Thursday, June 16, 2011

Aloha

We've packed it in for the last few weeks. Impromptu, quick texts fired off for days on end.... to roast hot dogs over one last bonfire, to hit up the local pool, to gather in someone else's backyard for a playdate, to play among our favorite patches and playgrounds and kiddy spots, to join us in a "pantry party." You know, to help us eat up everything we're not taking with us. Even now, as the movers are about to arrive, we look forward to a last slumber party in the playroom. Eight children, four and under, camping out among the boxes that hold our life and memories in their contents.

Hardly seems possible.
Several weeks ago some great friends here took me for a last "Mom's Night Out" to a favorite Mexican dive. When one friend tried to quietly pay for my bill, the waiter thought it was my birthday. Moments later I got the sombrero treatment, which lead to lots of confusion and laughter. I gave these mothers copies of the CD my family made me for Mother's Day and tried to write a little something that would convey how much they mean to me.
Best birthday party in May I've ever had.

Then last Sunday, we had a luau. Two of my dear friends and their families put it on, and they left no thoughtful detail untouched. These women have been my answered prayer, my strength, and a ton of fun. We love each other's kids as our own, and my girls are going to miss them terribly too.
From the twinkling lights to the pineapple+pictures centerpieces, from the photos strung across the canopies to the paper lanterns draped from up above, from the tasty food to the blast of a kids' area, from the opening prayer to the last tear filled sharing of memories and well-wishes and big embraces...



Hope is seriously a budding photographer. I didn't take but maybe one photo all night. She's pretty good, eh? Cannot wait on your many pics, Daphne!

My wonderful husband tried to reciprocate at the end, but for once in his life he was speechless. It's an amazing thing how God works, even when circumstances are difficult and even when you feel like you are floundering a little. He sees to your heart and, if you listen closely and love anyway, others see to your heart too.

The result is a village. One we could not have done without and who, in turn it seems, feel like we did something pretty special by them too.

The real count down is now on. I've pulled out clothes and supplies to last us our journey, organized, showed the house for the final time, and hugged the necks of people who I cannot wait to see one of these days. Whether that be for coming reunions here or in an eternity where there is no room for goodbye tears ever again.
I am so thankful that "aloha" indeed means both hello and goodbye because that's the only way I can say it:


Some favorite little spots around our home.

Aloha, sweet Middle Tennessee...

Until we meet again,
~Katrina

1 comment:

Mama Brown said...

Tears running down my face...I miss you so much. I wish that you lived just down the road, but I also know that God has a special journey for your family. I will miss getting to see sweet Hope running around my house with Buzz and I will miss the sweet impromptu "I Love You Ms Stacee" from Maddie. And that sweet face of Alysse that always greeted me with a smile. Your Joe effervescent smile and kind words ...and you my friend, you of all, I will miss being able to sit and share and laugh and cry together whenever our heart desired. I love you with all my heart!