Monday, November 10, 2008

The Stuff Dreams are Made Of

A year ago yesterday I awoke from the most delicious dream. French bread dressed in garlic butter and gooey Parmesan cheese. I distinctly recall even now opening my eyes to the pretend smell of sausage from a happy little frying pan making its way into our bedroom.

After that the two pink lines were certainly no great surprise, and now we can fondly call that experience, "Dreaming of Maddie." The day we started dreaming about what our second miracle would be like.

Joe was immediately thrilled, but for me it took my breath away. I was mostly thrilled of course, but also a little nervous. Our kids would only be 18 months apart? Had my scar had time to heal? Would I have as difficult a pregnancy as before? Would everything be okay in this brand new town where we hardly knew a soul? As we sat on the bed looking at each other, giggling nervously, and praying I began to feel more at ease. Then we called our former, trusty OB who confirmed that we shouldn't be worried. And with that we headed off to the beautiful mountains of Blowing Rock, NC for a reunion with some of our dearly missed friends from Va. Beach.


Near the end of our weekend retreat we spent hours sharing and praying for each couple. Joe and I went last, and we were practically bursting at the seams to tell them the big news since we had waited to first enjoy them in all their new baby glory. After having been sick that morning and unable to eat, I was also bursting at the seams for some food. :) Such great fun to revel in little Levi and Cadan growing inside of our two friends, knowing all the while I had a new life being formed right inside of me. Not to mention, the 10 month old little life crawling all around the cabin!
You might also have noticed that while there we celebrated another miracle... my husband who came into this world TODAY! Well today, plus thirty-ish years, plus one that's already grown on him which we forgot (We had quite the laugh when it took more than a few minutes for us both to remember the actual correct number for his big day! Where in the world is the time going?) For many years prior to meeting him, I had another dream. This time it was of the kind of man I would marry, and if God granted it, the kind of man who would be a father to our children. Let's just say there may have been no bread and sausage on Nov. 9th of last year, but I wake up each morning so grateful for the gift of Joe that is really my answered prayer.

Here's to many more years of whatever else we can dream up! Thanks to all those who join me in wishing him the happiest of days (or as Hope has recently created, "Happy Birtday... Hallelujah!")

4 comments:

Mirabito said...

Happy Birthday Joe! Oh how the years fly by, especially when we're not watching (tee hee). God bless you on this and every day. All our love,
Brian, Meg & Babito

amy said...

first...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JOE!!! but, second...i'm SUPER confused. how old is joe, 25 or 30 something? the email said 25, but this post confused me?

however, the post was such a sweet story...and, of course, what a sweet blessing maddie is!!!

i will say, again, how much i love reading your posts and watching your girls grow, and see what a wonderfully happy family you guys are!

God Bless,
amy

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Joe the Lawyer:) Felicia and I are so sad we missed seeing you guys this time (we were in Nashville attending a conference). We got home late tonight (10 hours, 6 minutes) and I wanted to call but thought it may be too late. Bro, I pray you enjoyed your day, family, and friends.

Blessings to you,
Doug & Felicia Murrell

Anonymous said...

This is delayed cause I didn't realize it was your birthday but i happened to be in my old email address and saw it but regardless, HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY! Wish we coulda been there to celebrate you with YOU but that's just how it goes. I hope it was everything you desired and realize just how blessed you are! We love and miss you and apreciate all you do to make the world a better and just place!